Toyota engines destroyed by loosened head bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bepperb
If this affected even 1 tenth of 1 percent of those, the post on that forum would be two hundred pages long. But it's not. It's three years old and there are four pages with three engines affected, and one is off a 1992/93.

Not everyone who has a problem will make a post about it on a forum....

Yota 2AZFE engine is all about torque-to-yield bolts all over the place.

Unless there's metal fatique or manufacturing failure, otherwise, the likeliness of that said failure is very, very low (statistically-speaking). I too, have a 04 camry 2AZFE engine and already studied on the engine part. (have a factor service manual for that)

Lastly: reman long block (Marshall) can be had for approx. 2600USD from Rock auto, so I would seriously consider this engine to be "domestic" and parts and services can be had with relative ease.

Me worried about this? Nah!

2nd with what bepperb's said (how many of those cars with 2AZFE sold over the years that have the engine block failed that way?statically insignificant)

Q.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
No, you're looking at a 1 in 10,000 chance of spending 3500 dollars. Probably less than that.

That's not much at all.

Kind of like all the failed FOur runners with v6 headgaskets that failed. I know a few people had them and gaskets poped and ruined the engines, they had to pay out of pocket to fix and later fought to get reimburesed. Toy initially denied there was a problem but later after the embarament quietly pulled the secret recall and ponied up, just like the rotted truck frames.

I got an e-mail response back from Toyota that wasn't much of a response.

It said they checked my VIN number and my car is not involved in any Special Service Campaigns. (I guess that is what they call major issues)

Last edited:
"Tell me where I can buy the lottery ticket with a 1 in 10,000 chance of winning 3500 dollars."

You can probably do better than that anywhere. In WI our payout is about 57%. So if there was a hypothetical game where you paid 1 dollar and had a 1 in 10,000 chance of the jackpot (and that was the only prize), the payout would be ~5700 dollars, better than 3500.

Seriously, owning a Camry or any other car is about evaluating risk and assigning a value to it. [Almost] Everyone on this forum can see there is a risk of getting into an accident, and buys insurance against it. Well, there's also the risk of getting a flat tire, so some people buy a warranty for that (or get one free at Costco/Sams). And you could leave your lights on so for a few bucks AAA is there if you decide you want them.

And guess what, there's also the risk of a drivetrain failure. With any car. If it's a big deal to you, buy an extended warranty. But I haven't seen enough of these to think it's a big deal, that Toyota has any plan for the situation, or that a class action or large recall will ever happen. If anything, the 2AZFE is made in such volume that this would be a headline if even a few thousand (out of millions) were having a problem. But hey, we're only eight years into it's production, maybe there's a huge turd hanging over the fan just waiting to hit.

FWIW, there is a change in engine blocks on 7/31/03 for Highlanders at least. Perhaps you'd want to make sure yours was manufactured after that date? Although all HL's are made in Japan, so I'm not sure the change translates to US made Camrys.

There is no way around the fact that this is a big deal. However, it may or may not be a widespread big deal. One can rationalize any way they want. If this happened to any one of you, it would be taken as a big deal. I know that it would with me. The automaker's response is what matters in the end as that is what remains lodged in my mind.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I got an e-mail response back from Toyota that wasn't much of a response.

It said they checked my VIN number and my car is not involved in any Special Service Campaigns. (I guess that is what they call major issues)

that means there is no open recalls.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
There is no way around the fact that this is a big deal. However, it may or may not be a widespread big deal. One can rationalize any way they want. If this happened to any one of you, it would be taken as a big deal. I know that it would with me. The automaker's response is what matters in the end as that is what remains lodged in my mind.

Given the identity of the second engine in your signature block, I understand why you feel this way.

Quote:
Some forums lock posts after 2 weeks.

Thats silly. Especially if somebody wants to update something. I hate it when people make multiple threads for the same problem they are having, post 1. I have a problem, whats wrong. post 2.Where can I find this part. post 3. my car now works. So good luck searching for a problem and fix easily.

I tried updating a post on broadbandforums about a Comcast DHCP oddity with Linux that I found out how to fix--no such luck, it was locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back