2007 Civic LX - Kudos to FP+

Status
Not open for further replies.
History:

I purchased my 2007 Civic LX new on 5/3/2007. This car is my daily driver and is used almost exclusively for short trip driving to/from work, which works out to about 80 miles per week. For those who are curious, the odometer is at ~8,300 now.

I drained the factory fill at 1,500 miles and have used Amsoil 0W-20 ever since. I currently use a 6-8 month OCI, but am working towards a 1 year OCI. The automatic transmission has been converted to Amsoil ATF via the drain/fill method.

Fuel & Fuel System Cleaners:

I used Shell V-Power 93 for the first 18 months, and treated each tank with 5.25 ounces of Lucas UCL. I would treat the tank burned prior to each oil change with a 15 ounce bottle of Red Line's SI-1.

While the engine seemed to run well, I noticed that engine performance seemed to suffer when using the last 40% of each tank of fuel. I then took a friend's advice and used Shell 87 octane instead of V-Power 93. The engine seemed to run smoother when using Shell 87, so I have been using it ever since. I also stopped using Lucas UCL because there was no perceptible difference between in engine operation or fuel efficiency.

I recently purchased a quart of FP+ from LCD and added 2 ounces to my Civic's 13.2 gallon tank while filling up with Shell 87. The engine seems to start easier, runs smoother and there is no perceptible change in performance as the tank falls below the 40% mark. The engine is now on its second tank of Shell 87 treated with FP+ (using recommended treat rate) and my results have not changed. I did not experience a significant change in fuel efficiency, but was not expecting to see one due to the engine's use of synthetic lubricants, exclusive use of Top Tier fuel and low mileage. I am very pleased with FP+ and will update this post if anything changes.

Honda's prefer 87. They are optimized to run on it. Even the Acura's can run 87, with the only change being about a 5hp loss at the high end.

You should also experience less combusion chamber deposits with 87, and especially with the addition of FP+.

I wish I had known about FP when I had my Acura Integra.

I don't think your car is fully broken in yet, so you MAY get some gains later. 8k miles is kind of low for Honda engines, if my experience, and my nephews is any indication.

Why is there almost ZERO talk about Fuel Power in the last 2 years, seems like it was the most talked about fuel additive and now it rarely gets mentioned ?

I also have a 2007 Civic EX (same engine as DX LX) with almost 60K miles and I always run the absolte least expensive 87 octane I can find which is RaceTrac and I use Redline once a year. No problem getting 40+ MPG on the highway with normal driving.

I am not sure why FP+ has fallen off of the radar on BITOG. LCD and Terry Dyson aren't regular posters anymore, which is likely a factor. Many folks also prefer to use products that they can purchase locally, such as Lucas UCL and Red Line SI-1.

While I was using Shell V-Power 93 my engine would run smoother when Lucas UCL had been added to each tank. After making the switch to Shell 87, however, there was no perceptible difference between tanks that had/had not been treated with Lucas UCL.

Since my car is used for short trip driving, I am concerned about carbon buildup over long periods of time. After making the switch to Shell 87, I began to weigh the pros and cons of continuous treat versus maintenance dose use of fuel additive products. I ultimately opted to to use the continuous treat method, a decision which was based on the perceived advantages of preventing carbon buildup (Proactive) versus periodic removal of accumulated carbon buildup (Reactive).

I then began to look for a product that would act as a fuel stabilizer, contained a UCL and would clean without significantly impacting the engine oil during 1 year OCI's (4,000 miles). After much deliberation (I'm very OCD), FP+ seemed to be a perfect fit. So far I have have been impressed by FP+ and hope that I have made a good decision, but only time will tell.....

I drive about 400 miles per week and get a chance to do an 'Italian tune-up' once in a while.
I once got up to 117 MPH in 5th gear
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I drive about 400 miles per week and get a chance to do an 'Italian tune-up' once in a while.
grin2.gif

I've done that before as well. The inspector told me that the exhaust pressure or flow was too low on an old 1991 Grand Am to complete the emissions test. Took the car out on a low traffic stretch of highway and opened her up to 110 mph. At that point, a big black "cloud" of carbon dust could be seen in my rear-view mirror for 1-2 seconds. Went back to have the car re-tested and it passed with flying colors.

My mom got a new Mercedes and after the engine was broken in I took it up to 130 mph before I chickened out. That car made 130 mph seem more like 50 mph. I have not driven a car that felt so good before or after that. One day I hope to buy one and take it past 130 mph.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lyondellic
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
grin2.gif

I've done that before as well. The inspector told me that the exhaust pressure or flow was too low on an old 1991 Grand Am to complete the emissions test. Took the car out on a low traffic stretch of highway and opened her up to 110 mph. At that point, a big black "cloud" of carbon dust could be seen in my rear-view mirror for 1-2 seconds. Went back to have the car re-tested and it passed with flying colors.

My mom got a new Mercedes and after the engine was broken in I took it up to 130 mph before I chickened out. That car made 130 mph seem more like 50 mph. I have not driven a car that felt so good before or after that. One day I hope to buy one and take it past 130 mph.

Make sure that neither myself nor any of my family are on the road with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back