Delo sae 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys know about the Delo SAE 30w? The bottles I've seen is SL rated. Does the SL oils have a higher zddp?

I may run the straight 30 in my outboard then. I'm running the 15w40 that is also SM rated. I think the 30w SL might be a better choice for a saltwater marine environment.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I use tons of it.

Holy Cr p...

1 Ton / 40# Pail (5 gal.) = 50 pails or 250 gallons
shocked2.gif

LOL

Last edited:
We had an F250 Econoline delivery van at a paving equipment dealership I used to work at. The 7.3L (??) diesel in that thing saw nothing but Delo SAE30 after the first drain and re-fill. It blew a head gasket at 330k miles or thereabouts.

When the heads were removed, the cylinders still showed the cross hatched hone pattern. Maybe more a function of the block material than the oil......
21.gif

I think Delo is a great choice. Chevron just does not seem to market it as aggressively as Shell and Exxon/Mobil market their HDEO dino offerings...
And as for wear/engine protection, its always a solid choice.

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I use tons of it.

Holy Cr p...

1 Ton / 40# Pail (5 gal.) = 50 pails or 250 gallons
shocked2.gif

LOL

Probably about right, he didn't tell you he got it for $1/gal a few years back on a mistake by AZ on a clearance price. I only scored 54 gallons!

I have a 97 F-250 hd 7.3l powerstroke 4oed with 3.55 screws with 230,000. i always use motorcraft filters so i am looking for a good oil and since it is summer i was thinkin a 30 wt flavor. i was wonderin which 30 would be the best? i was thinkin 250 hours, 6,000 miles on dino, 350 hours 10,000 miles on syn. that seem tolorable, i am running 85+% highway? does amsoil still have there hdd 30wt?

ken

Quote:
I belive that "typically" SL rated oils have more Zddp than their SM rated counterparts.

Approximate numbers,
SL = 1100 PPM Zinc/1000 Phos.
SM = 870 PPM Zinc/800 Phos.

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:
I belive that "typically" SL rated oils have more Zddp than their SM rated counterparts.

Approximate numbers,
SL = 1100 PPM Zinc/1000 Phos.
SM = 870 PPM Zinc/800 Phos.

Under the SJ rating I recall the Zn levels being around 1100 PPM; am I correct to assume they did not change from the 2001 SJ standard to the 2004 SL standard ?

Also is it safe to assume that an HDEO 15W40 CJ-4 has approx 1200 ppm zn, only 100 ppm more than an HD30 SL ?

Chevron Delo 400 single grade SL rated is speced at 1270 ppm zinc, can I assume this is close to other HD single grade oils such as Rotella T, Warren/Super tech etc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back