Making your own Seafoam or MMO????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to mix/make your own Sea Foam or Mystery oil from the MSDSs?

Sea Foam MSDS says:

Pale Oil 40-60%
Naphtha 25-35%
IPA 10-20%

I assume IPA is Isopropyl Alcohol. But with the amount of ethanol in gasoline (10+%), is there a need for IPA? IPA may have a different length carbon chain than Ethanol and may be there to bond with any water in the tank.

MMO MSDS says:

Naphthenic Hydrocarbons 70-80%
Mineral Spirits 20-30%
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons 0-1%

It seems possible that the Chlorinated Hydrocarbons could turn into HCl when in contact with heat and water in the engine, so CH can be eliminated. Unless you want to add it to help deplete the motor oil's ad pack.

I'm thinking it's just a little more involved than you think. But
21.gif
anything is possible.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
21.gif
anything is possible.

AD

they started making this stuff 50+ years ago. I don't think it's brain surgery. Isn't Z-max just mineral oil?

Originally Posted By: countryboy9799
Where do you get naptha and pale oil?

I saw Naptha in an Ace hardware store. I do not know if it is the same stuff.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: ADFD1
21.gif
anything is possible.

AD

they started making this stuff 50+ years ago. I don't think it's brain surgery. Isn't Z-max just mineral oil?

It's not brain surgery, but I still don't think the average guy can duplicate it exactly. If you can good on you!

I'm not sure about the naphtha either, are their different grades of it?

I don't know what Z-Max is. Some of these additives have a small % of some secret ingredient, and that throws a wrench in it. They may also do some heating process that alters the mix., and could also be dangerous w/o the proper equipment.

But don't go by me I am not a chemist, and don't know much about it. I do like to experiment and test things though.

AD

I suppose one could try mixing some up and soak carbon in it. I know when I put seafoam in a head off of a small engine it dissolved the carbon and got a real glittery look to it. It would be a start anyways.

This is how inventions are born. Who knows the end result can even be better than the original?

AD

MMO MSDS says:

Mineral Spirits 20-30%

It seems possible that the Chlorinated Hydrocarbons could turn into HCl when in contact with heat and water in the engine, so CH can be eliminated. Unless you want to add it to help deplete the motor oil's ad pack.

There is much more to MMO that what is shown in the MSDS - as there is in every product.

Oil Analysis has also shown 45 ppm of Boron and 900 ppm of Phosphorous fairly consistently. There are very likely other ingredients in there as well that we are unaware cannot find through oil analysis.

As for the CH's, everyone loves to badmouth them, but not one, and I mean, not one oil or fuel analysis on this site has shown there to be any issue from their use within MMO. Until someone does, maybe a product that has been around 80+ years with no law suits and that seems works for who knows how many, should get the benefit of the doubt for once.

Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8

MMO MSDS says:

Mineral Spirits 20-30%

There is much more to MMO that what is shown in the MSDS - as there is in every product.

Oil Analysis has also shown 45 ppm of Boron and 900 ppm of Phosphorous fairly consistently. There are very likely other ingredients in there as well that we are unaware cannot find through oil analysis.

As for the CH's, everyone loves to badmouth them, but not one, and I mean, not one oil or fuel analysis on this site has shown there to be any issue from their use within MMO. Until someone does, maybe a product that has been around 80+ years with no law suits and that seems works for who knows how many, should get the benefit of the doubt for once.

Just a thought.

+1 my father has used it for well over 30 years now.

I've used it for years and have been very happy with it. It does take a lot of flack here. I often wondered how "snake oil" could survive the test of time (well over 80 years) w/o getting sued or shut down? JMO

AD

Don't forget the odor. I believe it is due to a phenolic component like oil of wintergreen. And phenols are very poler and excellent cleaning agents. Many years ago I saw an MSDS that listed this component but it seems buried in other items now. But the odor and the cleaning properties are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back