Causes of bent valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: o2man98
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Valve float from over-reving ??

Not likely with an auto trans.

I bet if you put it in L and held it to the floor you would redline it....
21.gif

\

You could drive it all day like that and not bend a valve. The revlimiter will keep it from overreving and the auto trans won't let you downshift into the wrong gear.

I second valve to piston contact. When I was 18 I built an engine for my GN, had a hangover the day I put the cam in. Timed it wrong, and bent all the intake valves. After removing the heads, the pistons looked untouched but it was obvioius what happened.

It's not a timing issue with the OP since all valves weren't bent. Was the spring pressure checked on the offending valve? I've seen springs lose half their tension before.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Burnt valves are common on the older CRVs if valve adjustments are not performed more often than recommended. These engines had problems with the valve clearances "tightening up" on their own.

Whoops, I somehow misread bent as burned. Please disregard what I posted as it isn't applicable to this situation.
spankme2.gif

Critic X2 Did this dance last fall on a 99 CRV. I replaced the exhaust valves in #4. Head work was easy, getting to the head was a PITA, especially the intake manifold. Haynes manual next to useless too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back