Problems using 100 unleaded mixed with 87 unleaded

Status
Not open for further replies.
A gas station is now selling Dart 100 Racing unleaded. I was thinking of putting some of the 100 octane unleaded in my 2002 Celica. The car runs great on 87 and the owners manual call for 87 or higher octane. I was wondering if there is any negative effects of mixing a few gallons of 100 octane into my car. The car has a compression ratio of 10.5:1.

What is the alcohol content of the 100 octane fuel?

If that's not an issue, I doubt you'll see any improvement or any problem. Around here, though, all racing fuel is leaded or Methanol and can't be pumped into a vehicle with a license plate.

Specific Gravity 0.764
Lbs./gal. 6.36
Anti-Knock Index (R+M/2) 100
Research Octane (R.O.N.) 105
Motor Octane (M.O.N.) 95
Reid Vapor Pressure 6.5
Distillation Curve (ºF)
Initial Boiling Point 90
10% 150
50% 210
90% 230
Final Boiling Point 260
Leaded No
Color Clear
Oxygen, Wt.% 3.5

Sold for $7.49 a gallons and legal of use in California.

I don't see it. The 100 Trick Racing gasoline says its unleaded and all the pumps at the station use the same pumps as the 87/89/91 gas.

Is the Octane raise done by spiking it w/ MMT?

If so, you may risk damaging your emissions by MMT. Otherwise, no damages I can think of (other than burning a hole in your wallet).

Q.

I knew I guy who put race gas in his Ford Probe. He claimed it ran better, though I suspect that he had to justify it in his mind.

I asked him why would use gas that even a Viper doesn't use. He couldn't give me a good reason.

But hey, it made him happy.

I can get Sunoco 260GT in Chadds Ford. But the car is stock, it would be a huge waste of money IMHO.

Last edited:
The station is out in town. Right next to a chevron and shell. Not enhanced with MMT.

You may get some improvement with an octane upgrade. Don't expect miracles, but it is definitely worth a shot.
Try pump 89.

Avoid the race fuel mix.

I was losing 6-8mph at the end of the front straight away at Portland International Raceway while using "race fuel" in my street car that is designed and programmed to run 91 octane. After I used up the tank of race fuel, I went back to the normal 92 octane that I can buy in the area and the top speeds went back up to normal. I didnt see any benifits to the $54 I spent for 6 gallons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back