Tire cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
What causes cracks down at the base of the tread? The Yoko's on my Tacoma are three years old with about 25K on them. Well over 75% thread left. Im almost certain the Texas heat and cold are taking their toll.

Yeah. Use, heat cycles, etc. After 3 years, almost any tire can reasonably be expected to have some weather cracking down in the tread. Are the cracks severe? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Most of my tires (of any brand really) have began to show cracking at the very base of the tread after only a year or two.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
Yeah. Use, heat cycles, etc. After 3 years, almost any tire can reasonably be expected to have some weather cracking down in the tread. Are the cracks severe? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Most of my tires (of any brand really) have began to show cracking at the very base of the tread after only a year or two.

There not too bad...with the heat and being parked outside, its taking its toll.

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
Temperature (Heat cycle) and UV

That's why I think my tires are holding up well...don't see the sun as often. (parked in a shady spot)

The general rule of thumb according to our resident tire engineer (Capri) was 6 years for southern states and 10 years for northern states.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The general rule of thumb according to our resident tire engineer (Capri) was 6 years for southern states and 10 years for northern states.

Cool. Im hoping by then these will ware out by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back