Rustproofing a Chromoly Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I best go about rustproofing a new chromoly frame? I would like to coat all the tube internals with a liquid wax or cosmoline. How about raw linseed oil? What's the best method to thoroughly coat the tubes? What about already existing rust? Por-15 might work?

use Fluid Film - it is a mixture of wool wax (lanolin) and oil. amsoil also makes a nice product called chain-lube or something, that would work well. Use a Dremel tool to clean off existing rust, Naval Jelly is good to chemically remove rust, and then followed by paint.

I suggest the temperature controlled oil bath, filled with ARx, which you recommended in my chain lube thread. They're good for lots of things.

I'm sure you can find one large enough from an industrial supply house.

When I was researching bikes I found a few guys that were coating the inside of tubes with Amsoil HDMP or similar spray waxes.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I suggest the temperature controlled oil bath, filled with ARx, which you recommended in my chain lube thread.

That was my first thought!
LOL.gif

Fish oil my friend.

Kirk would love it.

There's got to be bleed holes, or they couldn't weld it, add oil, shake it up, and let it drain/dry.

Yeah, there are bleed holes everywhere. I used fish oil based primer on my Chevy's rusty undercarriage. Rust doesn't care for Omega 3?
grin2.gif
Raw linseed oil seemed to work a bit better, although I have no proof. I'm not sure how I feel about the prospect of riding my bike while being followed by dozens of felines...

I've used fish oil heaps, with good effect. I've got a 1950s book on oils and Varnishes and they state them to be about equal.

Apparently bone oil (got to make it yourself) is pretty good too.

On various apps, I've had good results with Lee Liquid Alox, which smells a lot like cosmolene, and forms a durable wax finish...dilute a bit, it will spread well.

There's some good lanolin based stuff down here, but I'd stick to fish oil personally (or linseed for the piscatorially challenged)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
bone oil (got to make it yourself)

Okay...

*starts collecting bones*

Or you could sell off that chromo frame and get a Linskey titanium. Then you have no worries about rust... Just sayin'.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
JP Weigle Frame Saver

Interesting. Seems like the right product.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
JP Weigle Frame Saver

I've been using this product for years and yes, it's designed specifically to rust proof steel bike frames. It comes out of the can with honey-like consistency. You douse the inside of your frame with it. It makes a huge mess, smells bad, and is flammable...apply it outside on a nice sunny day.

On my bikes that see use in the rain and snow, I re-apply it once a year.

Sure you could probably use any low volalitilty, high viscosity petrolium based product to achieve the same result, but JP Weigle is cheap and is easy to apply.

Remove the seat post and stem, including headset. The headtube will give you access to the top tube and down tube. Liberally spray your lube of choice into the hole. Spray the insides of chain stays and seat stays using the drain holes. Coat the inside of the seat tube. It helps if you remove the wheels so you can sling the bike around to evenly distribute the fluid.

Thanks for adding critical information regarding the location of the "holes" and "drain holes" in a frame. Also thank you for advising me to remove non-existent parts from a bare frame.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Thanks for adding critical information regarding the location of the "holes" and "drain holes" in a frame. Also thank you for advising me to remove non-existent parts from a bare frame.
grin2.gif

spankme2.gif

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
grin2.gif

Better to give too much info then not enough.......
thumbsup2.gif

The Amsoil MP HD is supposed to leave a waxy coating.

You said "new frame". Not "new bare frame". Anyone who buys a brand new complete bike buys a "new frame". With all due respect to you, if you can't look at the seat stays and chain stays and see the little holes in the bottom, then nothing more I could have said will have helped you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back