Diesel Kleen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, for needing to use it, and make sure the bottles say "ULSD compatible", because that's about the only kind of fuel you'll find.
Lubricates the fuel, which is a huge issue with the new ULSD fuel. Cleans and adds Cetane for performance. The white bottle is also an antigel for winter.
Power Service has a lot of history and is well recognized in the diesel community.

Thanks for the advice. The Diesel Kleen folks have some pretty interesting products if you scan through their website.

I feel Power Service is over stated many times. If fact, once my little 32oz bottle is out, I will never use it again.

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
I recently acquired a Mercedes Benz 300D (1993 w/om602 engine, 137k miles) and am wondering if I need to use a diesel fuel additive during summer and winter.

This product is readily available in my area. Has anyone used it and care to report their opinion on it? I think I can even get it from Walmart.

Diesel Kleen® +Cetane Boost®

Diesel Fuel Supplement® +Cetane Boost®

Thanks!

I've always used the Power Service stuff on my old TDI, though VW likes Stanadyne better.

Diesel Fuel Supplement contains anti-gel but less cetane improvers-- I just used that year-round.

A lot of the old Benz diesel folks likes Startron.

The base of the diesel fuel additives is Naptha (that's the cleaning agent), the same stuff you can buy at your local hardware store.

Startron has this mystery "enzyme",can't figure out what it is.

you can also consider using Biodiesel as an additive to the D2. In low concentrations, in such an older engine, it's not going to harm the seals in the injection, nor will it gum up (from using lower quality bio or old bio)

Injection pump cleaning....a lot of people uses Lubro Moly Diesel Purge, which is D2 with a high percentage of Naptha.

I put my first dose of Diesel Kleen in today. First thing I figured out is it's going to be messy pouring in 6 oz every fill up. Do you guys used your own self filled individual containers or just pour the additive into a funnel inserted in your tank? (Like I did today).

Thanks for all the comments btw. I bought the DK before reading all the comments but I'll research the other products mentioned.

I'll let you know how the DK works in my car.

DK will give you the best warm weather benefit, and I use a glass jar for the premeasured amount. Those paper funnels can get a little "involved".

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Yes, for needing to use it, and make sure the bottles say "ULSD compatible", because that's about the only kind of fuel you'll find.
Lubricates the fuel, which is a huge issue with the new ULSD fuel. Cleans and adds Cetane for performance. The white bottle is also an antigel for winter.
Power Service has a lot of history and is well recognized in the diesel community.

According to tests done at SWRI, even though they claim it adds lubricity, virtually no increase was observed compared to a baseline of unadditized ULSD fuel. I'll try to dig up the link to that test that members of one of the diesel boards got together and paid for to test the lubricity improvement of various additives. It has been posted here before.

Here is the link to the original thread, Somewhere in there towards the end Spicer posts a link to the results. I think it is a sticky on the forum page too.
Yep, just checked, it is.

My memory was a little off, but still only 61 micron improvement over baseline fuel, which is double Stanadyne Performance Formula, but not enough to be were I want it to be.
Anyway pages and pages of discussion over there.

Thanks for the information. Am I correct in assuming HFRR improvement is more important than a Cetane increase?

I would say probably yes. The following is another link to a diesel fuel discussion, about halfway down the page the comments by KC_maverick, BigJoe, and PH prety much sum up my thoughts on the matter.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/archives/ub...&o=&fpart=1.htm
Note that since then with the advent of ULSD fuel regulations have tightened up even more so I think end suppliers have been forced into more compliance with better cetane fuel than they used to be.

Here is a discussion over on TDIclub from this year on cetane rating, if you live near Mooresville you might check out that station mentioned in the thread.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2429849

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back