Jeep Wrangler wont stay running. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dau.s 98 Jeep Wrangler with 2.5 4 cylinder will start but idles very roughly, and dies when she tries to rev. it. Engine has original fuel pump and spark plug wires. Strong smell of gasoline from exhaust pipe. Engine cranks good and strong. It just won't stay running. what is the diagnosis? Jeep has about 80k miles.

one of the cylinders may not be firing---coil/dist or a bad plug. a bad valve. fuel pressure regulator---could be a lot of things. prob an ignition problem though.

And the problem was: the ignition coil. The mechanic rec. a thorough tune up as well as a new coil wires, plugs, and dist cap and rotor. Total cost 350 ....Yes, that is a lot for a tune up, but this is a dealer/Ford/ and she needs the car for her work tomorrow.

Here's my Dau.s Jeep repair summary. Remember it is a 4 cyl. 2.5.
Here's my Stott (Ford Dealer) invoice: $150 for labor; $23 for dist cap; $20 for rotor button; $84 for ignition coil; $36 for ignition wires; $16 for spark plugs.

The total was $327 which breaks down to: $150 for labor and $177 for parts. I can understand the labor- I think labor is $60/hr so that would be 2 and 1/2 hours.
I keep reminding her that 327.oo is less than one monthly payment of 36, 48, or whatever if she bought a new car. It pays to keep your old car running, esp. in a recession.

That wasn't too bad, but I'm surprised that it ran so bad. This must have had no routine tune ups performed on it. It is low mileage for a 98 ..but it should have had 2 tune ups by mileage and 3 by time.

2.5 engines are tough, but they do need some tending to from time to time. I'd make sure that this is getting some routine service. It can last a lifetime and parts are everywhere for them.

Here are some points I didn't make clear in my initial request due to the urgency and lack of time. I live in another state from my dau. She was calling me at 830 am and needed to ger to work right then. I was hoping to get her car running quickly or at least well enough to get to a repair shop. It was Memorial Day and most of the shops were closed. She was lucky to find the Ford Dealership open. I had changed the spark plugs once before and it was difficult because the A/C compressor was in the way of 3 of the 4 plugs. While I admit the s/p wires need changing ( going by mileage) the other items could have waited until I got up there for a weekend to do. Probably the wires could have waited also. IOW I would have gotten the dealership to replace the ignition coil only.
That would have gottten her car back on the road. My dau. has no interest in mechanics and doesn't enjoy getting her hands dirty like many of those on this list do.

actually not too bad since you pretty much just paid for parts and labor and not a huge diagnostic fee. Also, since it was your daughter who was outa town, peace of mine is worth a lot. Of course DIY can save money, but sometimes it is just easier to get it done at a shop.

also, 60 bucks per hour is CHEAP. especially at a dealer. I have only seen that rate at smaller shops while the dealers are $75++, most are around 85.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back