Kumbo Power Stars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering...how good are these tires?

I was offered a good deal for a set (I was waiting for next year), and I am considering it.

They are for a cavalier, that is not driven much....

I say this with respect to your query.

BUY AMERICAN.

Even Michelin makes tires in USA, Canada and Mexico -- all NAFTA members.

We had a set of Power Star's last over 55,000 miles on a Saturn SL1. These tires were great on dry and wet pavement, but straight dangerous on snow. I would NOT run them in a Michigan winter IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
We had a set of Power Star's last over 55,000 miles on a Saturn SL1. These tires were great on dry and wet pavement, but straight dangerous on snow. I would NOT run them in a Michigan winter IMHO.

That's what I was waiting to hear...Granted-this car sees very little winter, but I don't want to die driving on them either.

The current Goodyears are just fine in michigan winters....

Originally Posted By: Arbuckle
I say this with respect to your query.

BUY AMERICAN.

Even Michelin makes tires in USA, Canada and Mexico -- all NAFTA members.

Understood. I'm hoping to do just that...one of the reasons I was looking at Cooper tires.....

I've used the power stars on my subaru and they were ok. Very quiet ride, but I did have trouble keeping them balanced.

Anyone know an american made tire sized 185/70/13? My options seem very limited with 13 inch tires around here.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Power Stars are decent low cost tires.

Whats so bad about non American made tires ?

I'm suprised that there is any left...

My biggest worry is all season handling right now. Though I must say my wife's Kelly Navs handle pretty well...

You get what you pay for.

I've seen too many issues with cheaper tires.

If you have to get new tires, and there is no budget for something better, then get those new tires.

I'm happy with my BFGoodrich, Bridgestone, Michelin, Toyo.... tires. Btw, my last set of American tires were made in Romania.

not sure about power stars, but I've been very happy with Kumho LX platinum 60,000mi, and v rated. A A
paid about 65 per tire for my volvo. It did not cost much due to its small tire size.
very smooth and comfortable on highway

If you read reviews on tirerack on certain michelin, bfgoodrich, bridgestone, etc, you will be able to see some negative reviews as well.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Power Stars are decent low cost tires.

Whats so bad about non American made tires ?

Technically, probably not a thing is wrong with foreign tires.

Speaking personally and just for myself, lately I have been trying hard to be a good consumer. But if all else is equal, I am going to try my best to buy American built products if the price is the same or maybe even a little more.

Everybody's entitled to their opinion. I just think in these times we need to try to keep as many manufacturing jobs here in the USA and reward companies who invest in American workers and not use cheap (and many times exploited) labor.

Just my 2 cents. Someone could argue that foreign produced stuff still relies on a USA distribution system. Still, no matter what I am buying, I am checking the country of origin and going USA when possible/practical.

I had the power star 728's on a geo metro and they were a good tire on dry pavement. But on ice and snow, they were the worst tire that I have every driven on.

Originally Posted By: Ross
I had the power star 728's on a geo metro and they were a good tire on dry pavement. But on ice and snow, they were the worst tire that I have every driven on.

That is what everyone seems to be saying.....

Manufacturing jobs? American workers? I dunno man, one could also argue that a majority of manufacturing jobs (at least where im from) are held by illegal immigrants, not american citizens. And lots of them send half their checks back home anyways. But, I see your point.

Ive never been a fan of kuhmos for wear and noise, but man, some of them have some killer handling.

We've had/have several sets of Kumho tires on our family vehicles. My Corolla had the A/S 795s and now has the Solus KR21s. The only complaint I had with either of these two models is if you let them go for more than about 5K miles before rotating them, you'd get a slight shake at highway speeds that felt like one of the tires was out of balance. Otherwise, very nice tires for the price. Quiet, smooth riding, and good all-weather handling. My Daughter's car has the Power Star 758s, but she's only had them for a few months so I don't really know yet how good of a tire they're going to end up being. She did have them for part of the winter and she didn't complain about poor handling in the snow, so they must be okay there.

Overall, I'd say for the money Kumho tires are hard to beat. I'm sure there are better tires out there, but they're gonna cost A LOT more too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back