Storing winter Tires and Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys,

Is it bad to store my set of winter tires/wheels outdoors??

I'm thinking of storing them behind my storage shed in direct sunlight, I will be stacking them and cover them with a tarp, The bottom tire/wheel will be sitting on some rocks. Thanks for any help

bad idea. I'd only do it if i was desperate. Can't you put them up in some rafters or in a basement or something. I'd block UV but if you go overboard you'll sweat the tires and rims too much from the condensation. maybe make a make shift lean too out of spare tin or plywood an keep the tires on a pallet or bricks.

Bad idea... Should be stored inside, covered (preferably) away from sun light and slightly over inflated to keep them from developing flat spots.

This is also listed in the little brochure I got with them.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Bad idea... Should be stored inside, covered (preferably) away from sun light and slightly over inflated to keep them from developing flat spots.

This is also listed in the little brochure I got with them.

+1

Store them at a friend's place...

I put my snow tires in garbage bags in the basement this year. Last year I had them in my white tarp garage and I think the side facing the south wall got a bit dried out from UV and heat. The tread on that side felt a bit harder when I put them on. Once you get them garbage bags you could store them in a closet with out a rubber smell.

What I like to do is spray them down with WD-40, it seems to keep the rubber softer. But out side should be a last resort.

Originally Posted By: cornfused
What I like to do is spray them down with WD-40, it seems to keep the rubber softer. But out side should be a last resort.

Rubber tends to absorb petroleum products, which not only makes them softer, but also makes them weaker.

WD-40 and brake fluid should NOT be applied to tires.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

Rubber tends to absorb petroleum products, which not only makes them softer, but also makes them weaker.

+1 that is a formula for disaster. Get the tires inside a gargage out of direct sunlight.

What about silicone spray to protect tires? Any issues other than them being slippery when you put them back on the car?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

What about silicone spray to protect tires? Any issues other than them being slippery when you put them back on the car?

I don't like the idea of silicone anywhere around a tire. I know of cases where the use of silicone on the rim / bead has caused tires to slip on the rims - and I have encountered rim slip cases where I suspect it has leaked into the rim / bead interface.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Makes sense with the silicone... Storing tires in a garbage bag at 60F should be a good storage method though right?

Provided the bag is out of direct sunlight and stays dry!

Wouldn't a good tire dressing work, then slip them into the bag and out of sunlight? When I ran snow tires years ago, I dressed the tires, and lined them up against the back wall of the garage. Did that for many years w/o issue, long before the all season tires we have today.

I should of mentioned in my post above that before storage, I pick out all the stones from the treads and then thoroughly wash the tires and rims to get all the salt off them.

I use a tire detailer to keep the rubber in excellent shape. I do both tire walls and then the rest I drizzle down the tire threads so that the entire tire is covered in the protective cleaner stuff.

Then I wait until they dry a bit, over inflate them, put them in the protective bags and store 'em in the dark corner of the Garage.

Originally Posted By: stang5
hey guys,

Is it bad to store my set of winter tires/wheels outdoors??

I'm thinking of storing them behind my storage shed in direct sunlight, I will be stacking them and cover them with a tarp, The bottom tire/wheel will be sitting on some rocks. Thanks for any help

I wouldn't store them outside unless I had to. I'm not OCD about tires like some other posters. I just take them off in the spring and stack them in the back of the garage. Just fine for 4 years that way.

I should of mentioned in my post above that before storage, I pick out all the stones from the treads and then thoroughly wash the tires and rims to get all the salt off them.

I use a tire detailer to keep the rubber in excellent shape. I do both tire walls and then the rest I drizzle down the tire threads so that the entire tire is covered in the protective cleaner stuff.

Then I wait until they dry a bit, over inflate them, put them in the protective bags and store 'em in the dark corner of the Garage.

I don't think you can do any better than that!

AD

Should you underinflate the tires when you store them? Too much pressure makes the tire into donut!

I over inflate them because I store them one on top of another. I have never had a problem with this nor has my dad who has done this for years and conveyed "this way" to me.
21.gif

I know this is a stupid question but,since tires are made of petroleum pruducts, what in the wd-40 is going to make them weaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back