Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30,Scion xB with 6705 on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Blackstone report. Values on the Right are the Pennzoil Platinum. On the left are the Formula Shell full sythetic done a year ago. The Pennsoil is apparently more robust. An A-Rx maintenance dose is added on every oil change.

miles
oil.....6256 ......6705
engine..64739.......83725

Aluminum....3 ..... 2
Chromium....0 ..... 0
Iron........7......13
Copper......2...... 2
Lead........0.......0
Tin.........3.......0
Moly........45.....55
Nickel......1......0
Manganese.. 0......0
Silver......0......0
Titanium... 1......1
Potassium...2......5
Boron.......3......20
Silicon.....6......7
Sodium......4......6
Calcium...1969....2952
Magnesium...13....15
Phosphorus..645....676
Zinc........775.....1132
Barium 0 0

SUS @ 210F..57.7.....57.5
cSt @ 100C....9.56.....9.51
Flashpoint(F)..410....400
Fuel%.......... Antifreeze...... 0.....0
Water%...........0.....0
Insolubles%. .....0.2... 0.3
TBN............. 2.1....3.0

Last edited:
What engine do you have in it?
Both oils will do the job equally well. IMHO the only difference is in additives, which at your mileage are not coming in to play much.

Since the big boys are playing over in the 25K Amsoil thread, I will try to play a wannabe tribologist :)

Was the Shell sample taken over the same season (winter?).
If yes, then this could be explained by lab error (7 ppm vs 13ppm is fairly small spread in a grand scheme of things) or slightly worse oil characteristics.
If it was not - then it is not fair to compare two samples because cold winter starts will introduce more wear.

Last edited:
I was curious to see how the Formula Shell Full Synthetic stacked up against the Pennzoil Platinum.

I think it did OK. As I have enough of these two oils to complete about 4 more OCIs, I'm not worrying about switching.

Unless a good sale comes up, then I'm powerless.

Quote:

This car's gear ratios have it revving @ 3500 RPM at 70 MPH.

ok, that's a big difference from my !echo! (same motor)

@ 3500RPM, I'm well above 80. I'll check tomorrow on the way to work.. 8)

"ok, that's a big difference from my !echo! (same motor)

@ 3500RPM, I'm well above 80. I'll check tomorrow on the way to work.. "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I rarely downshift to accelerate going up grades. Just step down on the gas pedal.

using SHELL Full synthetic 5w-30 in both our YARIS . Thanks for the report . Good to know both treat the engine with kindness . :- )

Originally Posted By: Boomer
More robust with double the iron??

My thoughts too.. PP seems better in other areas but the Shell is no slouch by any means,(is any oil really?)

I don't believe that PP allowed anywhere near 13/7 times more iron wear than Formula Shell Syn. as the numbers may suggest. PP had ~1 more TBN, so I think PP did slightly better but it's almost a wash.

Are the phosphorous or zinc values typo's ? Just wondering because I'm inserting the data into my 1NZFE database/spreadsheet...

Originally Posted By: Bambam
Originally Posted By: Boomer
More robust with double the iron??

My thoughts too.. PP seems better in other areas but the Shell is no slouch by any means,(is any oil really?)

The iron is simply beautiful, no issues, the extra iron could be from condensation inside the engine that would cause rust to form that will spike the iron.
13 ppm I would be very pleased.
5/25 iron ppm is in the normal range for gasoline engine.
sleep well

Too bad the Shell Syn isnt easier to get, if you can find it at one of their gas stations is almost $9 a quart.

Last edited:
If I didn't have a nice stash of Havoline DS from WM, I'd pick up a couple six-packs of Shell syn from BJ's warehouse @ ~$21/box. I think Shell's numbers are close if not better than QHP's. Nice value for the $$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back