John deere J20A?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 hyster forklifts that spec John Deere J20A fluid for their monotrol automatic transmissions.

I Have been using Mystik Universal Trans Hydraulic and Traveller® Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid that meats the J20C spec.

Is their something better for the montrol system? Preferably Something from Chevron Or Mobil as those are the two most easily acquired brands locally.

Please NO Amsoil or Shaffers recommendations Keep it to easily acquired major brands.

Last edited:
Chevron makes an oil that specs. as all oil mfgs. I have 10 gallons for my tractor in the shop, I don't have any idea what the name of it is. but the jobber can look it up for you.

I will call my local chevron jobber in the AM.

I have one forklift that needs to have the pickup tube adjusted in the converter housing as its puking fluid out of the starter hole. Might as well flush the hyd system out since its low on fluid anyhow.

Oh the joys of owning a small business.

Bruce are you saying that the J20A is the best or the J20C that I have been using is the best? or that the mystic/travelers oil is the best?

J20A is an obsolete spec. replaced by their J20C (standard viscosity), correct?

Here is a discussion at Tractorbynet about the two products Chevron has with links to product data sheets:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubot...-synthetic.html

One is high quality "isosyn" "dino", the other is high quality synthetic. You will have to decide if the costly synthetic is warranted. The synthetic claims to cover both the JD C and D (low viscosity) qualifications.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
J20A is an obsolete spec. replaced by their J20C (standard viscosity), correct?

Here is a discussion at Tractorbynet about the two products Chevron has with links to product data sheets:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubot...-synthetic.html

One is high quality "isosyn" "dino", the other is high quality synthetic. You will have to decide if the costly synthetic is warranted. The synthetic claims to cover both the JD C and D (low viscosity) qualifications.
Not is the S.F. bay area especially in a forklift.They are fairly well built .

Is the starter leaking??? Been a long time since I worked on forklifts but could it be the starter leaking? The Hyster has a WET torque converter which means the starter is sealed ,the Clark C500 series has a wet converter as well. I remember some Hysters with wet clutches having leaking problems and the pickup tubes crudded up but that could be different.

""Bruce are you saying that the J20A is the best or the J20C that I have been using is the best? or that the mystic/travelers oil is the best?""

Use whats recomended as in J-20A, use CVX version they have a very good UTF line, I use the oronite version in my fluids.

DO you have a source on a J-20 A fluid locally in the bay area? all I can find is the J-20C

Mine is the monotrol with forward and reverse right on the gas pedal. The toque converter has some goofy design that is supposed to mist hyd fluid into the housing and then a return tube to suck it back out.

You have to remove the vent cover on top of the housing between the engine and the axle right under the operators feet. Loosen but DO NOT REMOVE the two cap screws and rotate the housing towards the drivers left side.

Its not leaking from THE STARTER but the mating surface of the starter and the torque converter housing.

think dif in J oils is viscosity one is wnter and summer type try
valley oil in mountain view tell him bruce sent you ask for cricket he will find you some

Theirs a sort of gasket but its not meant to hold back a high oil level. adjusting the drain was quick and easy and no more leaking

thanks Bruce I will give them a call on Monday.

Oh theres even an internal seal inside the starter between the over running clutch and the solenoid/armature. It keeps oil out of the electrified half of the starter in a worse case scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back