nting Plastic Hubcaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '98 civic that I have been working on for a couple of months now. All of the mechanical is done and now I am working on the exterior. The plastic hubcaps are very scratched up. What kind of paint should I use and should I put clearcoat over the paint? I am in Ontario, Canada so that limits my choices.

Get some dubs yo

A Civic would not be a Civic without them.

wink.gif

Last edited:
What about some cheapies from the local auto store?

There is a website for hubcaps...but they are like 30 bucks though...

Originally Posted By: bepperb
You're going to spend ten buck on paint and clearcoat. Buy new covers for 20 bucks instead.
+1
thumbsup2.gif

I'm going to do that also, as my Impala's wheel got banged up from a pothole and a replacement steel wheel will cost $110+.
After getting that, I won't feel like spending $60 plus at boneyard or sites for chev "originals, so I'll look what's available.

There are some half-decent looking hubcaps at Wal-Mart for $15. I got a set for my Buick when the factory caps all went missing. They happen to match the car just as well as the factory caps ever did. Gray car, gray caps, it works!

You can get 98-00 Civic generics almost anywhere. Pep Boys has them. Pep Boys also has a nice Passat generic with a plain black center in 16" that looks great on Luminas and jellybean Tauruses. $20-$30 a set and they hold on by the rim, not the lug nuts. So when you curb it, it pops off instead of cracking and you aren't running around with 2/3 of a hubcaps holding on by the middle. Go back, pick up the one popped off, put it back on, you're good to go.

I would have to drive to Detroit to find a Pep Boys. I was there last week to watch the Wings win over Chicago. Everyone sure was friendly and curious.

My problem with most aftermarket hub cap is the quality (won't last as long) and the protrude in the center.

Do the right thing, repaint what you have if it is not cracked or just buy used OEM hubcap.

I picked up some dupi-colour paint today and I already have some clear coat.
Thanks folks

I think painting the originals is the way to go, I find aftermarket hub caps usually are no good in the long term. The originals on my Neon are made with fibre reinforced plastic and are tough as nails... They are on and off 20 times a year, the cheap ones would be in pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back