9 years & no oil changes... still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about my lawnmower. It's 9 years old still running on the factory fill. Granted it hasn't been used much, maybe 14-15 hrs cumulative. It has also suffered 2 oil-starvation incidents where I inclined it to 45 degrees to cut some ornamental grass, causing the engine to seize. It was very difficult to restart it. I'm happy to say it still runs well.

What's your most extreme abuse story of an internal combustion engine?

On the subject of mowing inclines... I've got a bout a 30 degree incline in the back of my house. What's the safest way to mow it to prevent oil starvation? Up/down, or sideways?

Last edited:
riding passenger in a 60something Falcon wagon. Oil light comes on. Stop and check the oil. Full. Drive on. Engine seizes as arriving at destination. Hole in side of block. Found out bottom of distributor rounded out ..no oil pumping.

this may need to be moved..
54.gif

My Dad has a 70s something Craftsman. I think it's first oil change was when I started getting mechanically curious and started tinkering with things when I was about 10. Still has the original sparkplug and air filter!

Starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull each spring with stale gas.

They don't make em like they used to!

Pretty much any lawnmower can take abuse beyond measure and withstand it. Everything rusts off, breaks, or is replaced before the engine goes.

However, it really is interesting to change over from Dino oil to a Syntheic and see what a difference can be made. My father took a older LawnBoy that blew smoke and turned it into a relatively nice machine with a couple short oci's with Synthetic after years of neglect.
Of course he got tired of replacing handle brackets that snapped off every 4-5 years, so he bought a Toro.

I hate to admit it but I'm pretty sure the 3.5 briggs on my front tine roto tiller may have never had the oil drained. It was my grandparents and is probably getting close to 30 years old.
I had the motor off to change the drive belt and it looks like they painted the motor after the drain plug was put in and the paint has never been cracked on the drain plug...
Now I guess you could drain some of the oil by tipping the tiller over to drain out the fill hole. Was this ever done? I don't know, I've had it for 4 years now and just add oil as needed every spring when I use it. Some 0W40 rotella went it this year It gets about 2-4 hrs of use a year so probably will last for quite awhile even with this abuse. I did change the drive oil last year, it was chocolate milk...

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy

What's your most extreme abuse story of an internal combustion engine?

My father's 92 Dakota 5.2

It had the early 5.2/5.8 lower intake plenum leak problem and had a crankcase *full* of gritty carbonized junk, which piled up in the oil pan to sufficient depth to block the oil pickup screen- resulting in 0 oil pressure after driving for a while. Dad decided to gimp the truck home a few miles at a time, shutting off and letting the oil screen clear whenever the pressure hit zero and the lifters started to get loud (he wasn't aware what was actually happening with the pickup screen, he just realized that shutting down for 2-3 minutes would restore at least a few PSI of oil pressure and shut the lifters up for another few miles).

We found the pan full of what looked like coffee grounds (about half a coffee can's worth). After all the abuse, we figured the engine was probably a goner, but we cleaned the pan and then flushed 10 gallons of kerosene through both oil fillers (it has a cap on each valve cover) to try to clean it up. We filtered the kerosene through old rags, and ran it back through several times. When the rags stopped showing grit after straining, we filled it with cheap oil and ran it for 20 minutes. Changed the oil and filter, re-filled and the darn thing ran perfectly. In fact, it ran so well we fixed the intake plenum gasket, and he racked up another 50k miles or so before he bought a new Ram last fall. Oil consumption was on the high side after that incident, but it never lost oil pressure again, never made any abnormal sounds, and only smoked slightly. He's still got the truck to use as a "beater," and it still runs well.

while in college in lincoln' ne borrowed buddies eclipse to run to the airport to do a pick up. bad head gasket and what else. nearly no coolant and sump being 3 qts low. stopped after driving 5 miles at gstation and put in some oil. made the trip.
wally's ohv mower on PP syn for last 3 yrs, might change oil this season ;-)

Tried running my 4HP Koler lawnmower with Rislone only about four years ago. Mowed the whole yard.. eh about 45 minutes worth but you should of seen the steam rolling off of it. Still using it today runs like a champ. It has pp 5w20 in it now and not for sure when I changed it last... 3+ years maybe.

Does experimentation count as abuse? Replaced the paper factory air filter with a homemade oil bath air cleaner.

CompleteInstallation.jpg

Neighbor had a 4 year old honda. Never changed the oil. The oil ran out for some reason. The engine suddenly stopped. He lifted to look under the deck. There he found the blade connected to the crankshaft which slipped right out.

Took the mower to the shop where they put it at the curb for him.

Originally Posted By: river_rat

Does experimentation count as abuse? Replaced the paper factory air filter with a homemade oil bath air cleaner.

That is some great sheet metal work! Did you make that air filter housing cover?

Joel

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
On the subject of mowing inclines... I've got a bout a 30 degree incline in the back of my house. What's the safest way to mow it to prevent oil starvation? Up/down, or sideways?

My backyeard lawn is inclined about the same. I mow sideways as mowing up and down is almost impossible. Does it prevent oil starvation? Probably not but its still gotta get done. Haven't thrown a rod yet!

Originally Posted By: JTK
That is some great sheet metal work! Did you make that air filter housing cover?

Joel

Thanks, yeah I had to fab the cover. I used to do a lot of duct fab/welding for restaurants. Mostly it's just a coffee can...the main part.
Here's the guts:
ABACdwg.jpg

And another I made a bit more elegant:
DSC01118.jpg

Quote:

Oh, man ..you so get BITOG ..now you need to find out if there's a way to get a way for the oil slinger to feed a gravity drain bypass filter.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Oh, man ..you so get BITOG ..now you need to find out if there's a way to get a way for the oil slinger to feed a gravity drain bypass filter.

thumbsup2.gif

I will try, Gary, as soon as I figure out what that means!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: river_rat

And another I made a bit more elegant:

Elegant? That's a piece of ART WORK! Very nice.

Joel

Well the little stinker seems to do a good air cleaning job. Sure not worth the effort, but I needed a project, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back