Advice for 1st gun for newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glocks are great guns. I have three. A model 19, 21 & 22. Without a doubt they are very fine combat pistols. I have NEVER had any kind of failures with any of my Glocks. They are a little bulky for carry(except the 19), but all have exceptional reliability.

But, I do agree with a S&W model 60 as being a great first handgun. I would not buy one with the internal lock. Training and practice are the keys. No matter what you decide, training is very important. Knowing how and when to use your firearm is the key. It's just like anything else, PRACTICE,PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

I don't want to start any kind of arguments, but I would shy away from a Taurus. S&W is more expensive, but you get a lifetime warranty. I had to use that recently with a new 1911 S&W and S&W's customer service is second to none!

You mention not costing a lot. How much can you spend? keep in mind you will need to purchase ammunition (which in the current political climate is in short supply and high demand = high prices), some form of hearing protection and a cleaning kit for the gun.

Good German firearms such as the Sigs, H&K, and Walther are expensive new and typically retail over $400.00 on the used market in good condition.

You will get a hundred different answers to what is best, but 38 Special and 9mm Luger are good starting points for self defense. Both have decent stopping power and recoil that is easy to handle even for newbies. Also both don't have the harsh report or fierce muzzle flash of the magnums

For new shooter that wants a self defense handgun on a budget, a 357 medium sized revolver from one of the major makers is
hard to beat. They are simple, robust, and offer most bang for the buck. You can find used Smith & Wesson Model 19's, Ruger Security Sixes for reasonable prices and Taurus revolvers that can be bought brand new for under $400.00. The neat thing about the magnums revolvers is you can shoot 38 specials as well as 357 magnum ammunition, so if you decide you want to work your way up to a magnum load you already have the gun.

If you're heart is on a semi-auto, you can find used Ruger P series 9 mm's for just around $400.00. I haven't priced them, but some of theused polymer frame pistols such Smith & Wesson Sigma and Glock might be had for under $500.00.

The Ruger .22 is a good place to start. Used S&W .38 Model 10 revolvers go for around $300. They are both a lot of gun for the money. It takes some practice to develop reasonable skills and confidence level with a pistol. The best way is to join a shooting club that has regular competitions. You get to associate with others who are into the sport, and you will rapidly improve. You need a minimum .38 or 9MM for these competitions. By the way, shooting is not cheap. It makes BITOG OCD look mild.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Quote:
But I personally think a Glock is the best gun period, starter or not.

Which Glock(s) do you own ?

A Glock 27. I am in the process of finding a new glock 30(VERY hard). I have shot many times the Glock 19,21,23,26,27,30,32.

I have shot a few times at the Police department range with a friends dad who is a range officer, they only shoot the 19. So I have about 4000 rounds on a VERY used police trainer's 19. I have about 2000(all together)rounds shot on all the others I have tried. I have 1000 rounds on my new 27. I can not find any .40 ammo, thats why thats so low. . .

Never once a mishap.

Take it for what you want. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back