STP motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw some STP motor oil at Dollar general while trying to see if they had any Trop-Artic. The STP oil is GF-4 API SM. Anyone else see the STP oil yet or know who makes it?

Possibly produced under license? STP oil filters are produced under license by Champion Labs.

Clorox now owns the STP brand name. I doubt they make the oil.

If Clorox owns it now, it should be an excellent motor oil at cleaning the engine.
grin.gif
I myself haven't seen it since the 70's and remember it being 10w-50.

I remember using STP 10w30 in my Sentra SER about 10 years ago. The car ran pretty well on it
in the warm weather. I remember the label specifically mentioned its 'magnesium' content.

I've got 10 quarts of STP 10W40 I picked up at a yard sale a couple of months back. It's API SG, (so I'm guessing it's at least 10 years old). All bottles are sealed. Lable says it's good for both gas and diesel, and "Fights sludge." I've used one bottle as a top off for my daughters 95 Saturn - oil is a really dark color, almost like coffee. Yummy.

I forgot about Wal-Mart carrying STP oil (& filters) as their main brand years ago. Anyway, I thought of this thread when I saw a flyer from Dollar General the other day advertising STP motor oil. Apparently it's still around- or perhaps more accurately, someone like Warren decided to pay the licensing fee again so they could use the famous logo to move cheap oil. I'll have to swing by that place sometime and see if I can glean any info from a bottle on the shelf.

quote:

Originally posted by Frank D:
If Clorox owns it now, it should be an excellent motor oil at cleaning the engine.
grin.gif
I myself haven't seen it since the 70's and remember it being 10w-50.

Clorox has a bunch of companies and brand names that they've purchased over the years. Kingsford charcoal, Pine-Sol, Armor All, Brita (at least for the US), and Glad.

They have a "secret testing facility" somewhere in Oakland. I saw some TV piece on it, where they had several rows of toilets to develop their products meant for that purpose.

I was at dollar general 3 days ago. they had just got it in, stp 10w30 gf4.I think it was $1.25 a qrt. I looked at the bottom and did not see Wpp.

I went to Dollar General a few minutes ago & looked at the STP oil. They had it in 10w30 & 10w40, but they were all sold out of the 10w30.

The 10w40 is API SM. It is $1.35/qt. It is distributed by a comany called "JD Street".

It's probably a decent oil, especially at only $1.35/qt.

I used to get STP at wal-mart about 10,12 years ago as it was the cheapest oil they had until Tech 2k. I was told by someone that it was a Warren brand at that time. I saw some at Big Lots a few years back that was sitting next to some AC Delco semi synthetic for like a 1.29 a quart. I was afraid to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back