Mobil V Twin 20W-50 Fully Synthetic Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used it in a Commercial Briggs 16 HP VanGuard V-Twin and sent in a couple samples to Blackstone.

The engine is 20 years old and I used to use Mobil-1 15W-50 RedCap as is was a 1400 ppm ZDDP product vs GoldCap and SilverCap which are now 1200 ppm ZDDP products.

I like V-Twin with it's 1600 ppm ZDDP levels.

Long story short.... the M-1 V-Twin samples all came back with zero for copper/iron/lead etc...wear metals. Amazing! About 100 hour changes.

I also like Motul 300V 15W-50 or 5W-50 with high ZDDP and Moly along with the fact the 300V is a double synthetic GRP V....though priced at $15.00/qt.

Anways...the M-1 10w40 mx4t is a good choice as well with 1600 ppm ZDDP.

Amsoil's ASE with 1150 PPM ZDDp SAE 30 is another great choice.

BUT......nothing beats M-1 V-Twin.....I mean 1600 ppm ZDDP and a very beefy synthetic base,,,,

Outstanding choices!

When I was at the mower shop last the serviceman was replacing a Kohler short block.

He said the owner while not using it much decided on using a conventional 10W-30 oil.

The bearings mostly were shot with some cylinder scoring.

His lube of choice for any V-Twin is M-1 15W-50 or M-1 V-Twin.

Commercial engines can run a couple thousand hours he claims...with a high ZDDP synthetic oil.

Especially for very hot running engines...M-1 20W-50 is the 2, 000 pound gorilla of synthtic oils.

A lot of the OffShore Boat (Cigarette style) have made the switch in ther 700-1500 HP engines. Teardowns are amazing I have heard!

Last edited:
Quote:
When I was at the mower shop last the serviceman was replacing a Kohler short block.
He said the owner while not using it much decided on using a conventional 10W-30 oil.

54.gif
I don't understand how a conventional 10-30, regardless of the usage factor, would cause ruined bearings/scored cylinders. Something else must have been involved. A Kohler should last forever with any 10-30 out there, I'd think....

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:

54.gif
I don't understand how a conventional 10-30, regardless of the usage factor, would cause ruined bearings/scored cylinders. Something else must have been involved. A Kohler should last forever with any 10-30 out there, I'd think....

Newer non hdeo oils have low zddp levels. I spoke to a Kohler rep who said you need 1200 ppm ZDDP min for any v-twin to last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back