Amsoil DEO (prev formula) in modified '03 1.9L TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOTE: Same sample sent to two different companies for analysis.

UOA5-9-2009.png

BlackstoneUOA5-9-2009.png

The oil is still in the crankcase. This was just a 'sanity check' since I'd increased fueling a LOT since my previous samples.

When looking at my previous UOAs from AV Lube:
3-29-08: Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 (CI-4+)
7-15-08: Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 (CJ-4)
8-28-08: Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 (CJ-4)

Had mild modifications for those time periods. (nozzles + chip)

Fuel was bumped significantly during this most recent time period (much bigger nozzles), as well as change in airbox and filter (from OEM airbox and panel filter to aftermarket "CAI" and synthetic cone filter)

Big difference in those two reports on the phos and zinc numbers. I would tend to believe the AV report was more accurate.

What does AV charge to do a UOA like that?

The strange thing is that the old formula should be closer to the B-S report. I don't think the AV report is all that accurate here. Lab folks at AV must be no spring chickens. "Amzoil".

I say NICE report. Lots of VW folks want to use the DEO!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Big difference in those two reports on the phos and zinc numbers. I would tend to believe the AV report was more accurate.

What does AV charge to do a UOA like that?

I pre-paid for 5 UOA's (with TBN) about 2 years ago. At the time it was $20 or $25 each.

Looks like today's tests cost $17 and TBN is not an option.
http://www.avlube.com/oilandfuanki.html

Originally Posted By: Pablo
The strange thing is that the old formula should be closer to the B-S report. I don't think the AV report is all that accurate here. Lab folks at AV must be no spring chickens. "Amzoil".

I say NICE report. Lots of VW folks want to use the DEO!

I noticed "AMZOIL" too.
LOL.gif

Yup, I am happy with the results.

I look forward to stellar results at 10K miles too. Since I've been testing, the oil has always been fine for continued use at 10K miles (Using CI-4+ and CJ-4 Mobil oils).

Two points. First, these two reports are remarkably similar, which IMO speaks well for both testing labs. Clearly, if the reports were totally different then you would not know which was correct. But that is not the case here... both are telling you that your engine is in nearly perfect running condition.

But secondly, the reports indicate very little about Amsoil DEO, a little more about whatever oil you were using before, but mostly about the general condition of the engine. It indicates that the engine is probably in an excellent state of tune. It may indicate that you did an excellent job of breaking-in the engine when it was new. It may indicate that you are using a high-quality fuel. It may indicate that environmental conditions were nearly perfect, not too hot and not too cold, during the test period.

I'm no tribologist, but sometimes a UOA tells you about the engine and sometimes about the oil. I think these tests are all about the engine.

I would not have gotten these results with $1/quart Autozone brand 10w40 or gasser 5w30 synthetic.

Could I have gotten these results with a 505.00/505.01/507.00 oil, Rotella T 5w40, either of Mobil's 5w40 oils, or S9000? Very well could have.

To have these wear numbers from a moderately modified TDI that's at 70% more than factory output and is not driven gently, that says something about the oil along with everything else in the system (like you said, tuning, nozzles, fuel etc).

Excellent report IMHO. This engine is a notorious metal maker at 8K+ intervals with certain oils.

Are you going to try the new formula DEO? You have to absolutely love the comments on decent Amsoil UOA reports vs other oils.

Quote:
.....both are telling you that your engine is in nearly perfect running condition.

But secondly, the reports indicate very little about Amsoil DEO, a little more about whatever oil you were using before, but mostly about the general condition of the engine. It indicates that the engine is probably in an excellent state of tune. It may indicate that you did an excellent job of breaking-in the engine when it was new. It may indicate that you are using a high-quality fuel. It may indicate that environmental conditions were nearly perfect, not too hot and not too cold, during the test period......sometimes a UOA tells you about the engine and sometimes about the oil. I think these tests are all about the engine.

Sure. There may be a kernel of truth in there....but.....

Pablo,

This year TDI (distributor pump) is not as demanding on oil as the later unit injector types. It is modified to 60% to 70% more torque and HP than stock though (soon to be 100% more), and I'm not gentle with it once it's warmed up.

Yup, going to order some new DEO soon.

Ya, what's funny is how my results with DEO are on-par with previous results with Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 (CJ-4) and M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 (CI-4+). Those UOAs were about the engine too, right?
28.gif

Really, what are you used to seeing?

FWIW for years over on TDI Club, 40 ppm Fe per 10K was/is considered "normal" wear.

I'm going to buy an hour meter for my engine, that will be more accurate than miles given my driving conditions (mostly highway at 70 MPH).

I figure this interval was 200 hours or less.

Hour meter purchased. Along with 15 quarts of "new and improved" DEO.

I will send off samples of old and new DEO for VOA.

S6300332.jpg

S6300334.jpg

S6300335.jpg

S6300336.jpg

S6300337.jpg

S6300339.jpg

S6300342.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back