2004 Mustang GT oil suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neice just bought a 2004 Mustang GT, and she's wondering what oil to use in it. She didn't get the owner's manual with it, so we don't know what oils Ford recommends. (Yeah, we've got a manual ordered)...
smile.gif

She wants to go with a dino oil, or perhaps a syn blend. She used Mobil 1 on her last vehicle, and since she doens't generally put more than 100,000 miles on one before trading, she decided (wisely, I believe) that the pricy synthetics weren't really benefitting her that much.

I told her that a 5W30 such as Havoline or Pennzoil would probably be good for 3000 to 4000 mile OCI's for winter, and maybe switch to a 10W30 in summer...

Maybe there are other ideas you guys could share.

One other thing... Does anyone know the displacement of the V8 engine in this car, and the horsepower?

Thanks,

Dan

Motorcraft/Pennzoil/Havoline 5w-20 in the winter, 10w-30 summer would get my vote for dino.

The 5.4L is 330cid not sure about the 4.6L. I would say you are EXACTLY on target with your recommendations of 5w-30 winter and 10w-30 summer although I run 10w-30 year round in my 5.4L.
Pennzoil,Havoline,Chevron Supreme(if you can find it)Or Gastrol. Heck even Valvoline would work. My boss has 140K on his 88' T-Bird and it does'nt burn oil or leak a drop. Valvoline 10w-40 from day one. Note: 40w is not needed for the new 4.6/5.4L motors.

If she is going to trade the car before it even reaches 100k miles, you could run cooking oil! Seriously though, will it be run hard? That would be the difference in my decision.

If you don't feel comfortable with 5w20, I'd run a 5w30 that met Ford's WSS-M2C929-A spec. Does your niece drive very aggressively?

Chevron, Havoline, or Pennzoil 5w-20 year 'round with Ecore Filters @6-mo or 5K OCI.
smile.gif

Michael

Since she's got the benefits of synthetics on the brain....stick with it. M1 SS 5W-30 with Motorcraft filter, changed every 6K and NO WORRIES.

I'd go with Chevron 5W-30 or Chevron 10W-30, both are good oils and pretty cheap at .99 in some locations. I use Chevron 5w-30 in a 1997 4.6 mustang year round and it gets decent mileage 20MPG city 26 MPG highway.

Thanks for the advice, guys. My neice doesn't drive the car hard, so you folks are probably right--just about any decent oil would do.

I don't know what Ford's specs say about which grades of oil to use. She bought an extended warranty on the car (not such a bad deal, 5 extra years of bumper to bumper coverage for 1100 dollars)--so we want to be sure that whatever oil she uses won't give the dealer any loopholes on potential warranty claims.

Thanks again for the advice.
smile.gif

Dan

If you want to go conventional or a synthetic blend I would look at Mobil Clean line. It is available pretty much everywhere from auto parts stores to WalMart.

Mobil Clean 5000 5W-20 Conventional
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_Clean_5000_5W-20.aspx

Mobil Clean 7500 5W-20 Synthetic Blend http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_Clean_7500_5W-20.aspx

I generally run Mobil 1 in my Mustang but, I have run Mobil Clean 5000 for Auto-Rx rinsing cycles and have been more than happy with the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back