What gear lube in a 97 corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD
Just bought a 5 speed 97 corolla... What does this trans take from the factory?

The factory fill is 80w-90 AFAIK. GL-4/GL-5.

I would use a good 75W-90 GL-4.

Just bought a 5 speed 97 corolla... What does this trans take from the factory?
I've got a 2005 5 speed Corolla and it really likes the Amsoil 75w-90 gear lube.

I ran the factory lube and it was good. Then Mobil 1 75w-90 and it was [censored] and have the Amsoil in for over 70k so far and its still excellent.

Take care, Bill

Factory fill is 75w-90 GL-5. The manual states 75w-90 GL-4 or GL-5.

I've tried every fluid out there in my 94 Corolla 5 speed, to include synthetic GL-4s and GL-5s. Conventional GL-5 works best.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Is that the MTG, Bill? And the same lube been in there for 70k miles or have you changed it once?
I think its the FGR that is in there. (I'm about 80% sure it is not the severe gear lube (I put that in the diffs of the Subaru and had some issues that Pablo fixed)

Same lube for 70k so far. Works excellent below zero and well above 100 degrees.

Bill

Drew, so a GL-5 is really best? I thought there was an issue wih syncros, and GL-5 yellow metal levels?

I was thinking about redline MTL/MT90 mix, but im curious about why you like the conventional GL5... what brand do you run now? Is it ok in the super cold?

Most GL5 gear oils are buffered and don't have issues with manual transmissions. The LSD additives will usually not assist the shift so avoid gear oils equipped with LSD additive.

Redline MT90, Torco RTF, Amsoil MTG, BG, Eneos, Idemitsu, Synlube, Motul, Ford, GM, ..... have gear oils for your manual trannie.

Toyota also recently developed a lifetime fill LV MTF. With Nissan, Kia, Hyundai, GM,....and numerous other automakers switching manuals to thinner 75w85's in place of 80w90 gear oils, I am going to guess that LV MTF is an 85wt, or possible thinner gear oil. A 75w85 GL4 might also be an option.

undummy, I tried MT90 in my 2004 VW golf, and the cold weather performance was totally unacceptable! I switched to MTL and that was great. Im a little skeptical of MTL in a car 12 years old (MTL once started a huge trans leak in a suzuki sidekick, which thichker lube cured instantly), so I think I will first try a MT90/MTL mix. Should make it a 72.5w85 LOL.

I have heard reports on forums of MTL causing leaks in some cars. I cant be for sure what caused the leak, but I switched out the factory fluid to MTL because of 2nd gear grind and bad cold weather shifting. MTL cured the grinds! A few weeks later, It started leaking bad, pancake sized oil leaks overnight.

So, I switched to some generic castrol gear lube in a drum at a car dealer used for BMWs, and bam, leak totally disappeared. So, all fingers point at MTL. No problems when I used it in my 04 golf, though. PS, I miss my LT4 vette!

I have tried many trans fluid on my toyota, and so far the amsoil mtg provides the most consistent shift cold and hot. Redline MT-90 sometimes give better shift but sometimes doesn't.
Mobil 1 gives humming noise on fifth gear.
Motul 300 doesn't give smooth shifting.
Redline 75w90 NS give a bit hard mechanical shifting.
There is one time I use some syntehtic with LSD additive (because the dru written with it), it gives the most effortless shifting, howeve after 1000 km high speed driving, the shifting turns terrible.

So seems now comes back to Amsoil as the most popular choice, or try the mixture of MTL and MT-90.

UPDATE, the mix of MTL/MT90 isnt really good... harder/notchier to shift than the stock fluid. I can imagine it will suck in the cold... disappointing, really. I might change to straight MTL before it gets cold. Or see what the toyota dealer offers.

Was the amsoil just as good as the stock fluid?

Bleed/adjust the clutch. Lube the shifter.

If you require a 90wt gear oil, and are using a thinner then 90wt MTL/MT90 blend, then obviously it is probably not a fluid issue.

I also wouldn't consider a straight synchromesh fluid(MTL) in place of a transmission that requires a gear oil.

Never seen a leak caused by a fluid. Usually a leak means you have a seal failing. But, a thin synchromesh fluid is also not meant to replace a gear oil.

I've used Redline MT90 in dozens of Nissans/Toyotas/Mazdas...... and never noticed a shift issue during the winter.

How many miles on this transmission? Maintenance history?

Heres the deal. The shifting was real nice with the OEM gear lube, 108k on it. Few hundred miles later after MT90.. not so hot. Clutch fluid was flushed/bled a few days after I got the car weeks ago.

There is no leak. I was speaking about a car years ago.

MT 90 was completely unnacceptable when I had an 04 golf not too long ago. In the winter, it was nearly impossible to shift into second until it was warmed up. Notchy too. MTL did pretty good in that car. OEM was 75w90 gl4

It has to be the fluid, since the shifting wasnt as good right after the change. I can only assume the fluid I drained was original 1997 OEM fill. It did look and smell fine however, and worked just fine.

OEM gear lube probably sheared down 100k on OE fill also takes its toll on wear.

Shift quality always changes when you swap a gear oil. Going up 5cst's with new gear oil is very noticeable.

Give the Redline mix 10k or so miles to work into the transmission and clean it up. If at that point, you are still not happy, change it to something else.

Good plan undummy. If it doesnt do so great, esp. in the cold, I might run straight MTL, it is just 70w80 GL4, i dont see why it would be a prob. Did very well in my VW golf. Site says its a low 70 when cold, and a high 80, nearly 85 when hot.

UPDATE, the mix of MTL/MT90 isnt really good... harder/notchier to shift than the stock fluid. I can imagine it will suck in the cold... disappointing, really. I might change to straight MTL before it gets cold. Or see what the toyota dealer offers.

Was the amsoil just as good as the stock fluid?

on my toyota, the amsoil provides better shift than stock. The MT-90 also better than stock, but the shift can not be rush.

On my other car (toyota-daihatsu share platform), the stock mineral seems gives good shifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back