Trop Artic motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Fella's, I'm new to the site.Just wanted to give my 2 cents worth on the Trop Artic oil.
I've been using trop artic oil for the past 15yrs, the reg blend.My 1988 maxima now has 235,000 miles and does not burn a drop of oil.
Yes, i do shop at the Dollar Tree to buy my Trop Artic Oil.A few months back i noticed the shelfs being stocked with the blends i started buying up all the cases i possibly could find.I have 22 cases of the trop artic syn blend 10w-30, which i use in my 2000 Quest, 2000 maxima as well as the 1988 maxima mentioned above.Just recently of the 4 dollar tree stoes that did stock the shelves,only one store has it.I think the cost of oil is going above the price that the dollar trecan sell the oil for without going above a buck.That's what the manager was telling me at the local DT.

welcome.gif

You might be a new guy, but you've obviously got BITOG in the blood.
worshippy.gif

Can you post pictures of your oil stash?
tongue.gif

Wow. I only bought 18 quarts, if only because that's what I could get with a $20 bill. I'm giving it my dad for his oil consuming '96 Regal. The clerk just smiled and noted, "That's a lot of oil you've got there."
smile.gif

This new Dollar Tree opened in my (quiet suburban) town recently; the location was empty for a couple of years after a Pep Boys store closed down. The only other Dollar Tree I know of is in a certain high-crime neighborhood in Oakland.

y_p_w,

I go to the Dollar Tree in Alameda (South Shore Shopping Center). I only secured 1 case of 10W30 syn blend and that was a couple of months ago. You may wanna look into that location instead of a high-crime neighborhood. Just a thought.

All, I just seen Trop Artic 5W-30 semi-syn at Wally world for $1.24.
But that's not the purpose for this reply...
The back of the 5W-30 bottle states it EXCEEDS the Ford WSS-M2C930A spec (along with Honda, GM, and Chrysler specs).
In reviewing the 930A spec, it requires a max viscosity @100°C of 9.3 cSt. Is the Trop Artic simply mislabled, or do we now have the best of both worlds...a 5W-30 weight meeting/exceeding Ford's 5W-20 930A spec???
confused.gif

"Exceeds" in this case simply means that while the Ford spec requires at least a viscosity of 9.3 cST at 100 degrees centigrade, TropArtic's product data sheet claims a viscosity of 10.9 cST under the same temperature condition. In other words, it's slightly better than it has to be to maintain Ford's minimum film strength spec. when hot. Unless several naysayers, who persist in trying to spread Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt that this brand oil can't possibly be any good because it's being sold at a low price, can actually offer verifiable evidence for their baseless allegations, this stuff's the real deal and has a very significant percentage of Group III base stock in the blend. Rejoice and be exceeding glad for the day of buck-a-quart TropArtic 5W-30 at Dollar Tree Stores is at hand. I posted a copy of a UOA for TropArtic "SM" on this very forum a couple of weeks ago and it looked pretty darned good. The naysayers were strangely silent for some reason about the hard evidence from the lab report, but I see at least one of 'em is back with his unsubstantiated claims of false advertising by ConocoPhillips. It does raise questions what his agenda is and whom he works for.

[ July 23, 2005, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

It will be interesting to compare the Conoco oils UOA's (Motorcraft, Tropartic, et. all) with Chevron and Havoline. Better base (Tropartic) vs better add pack (Havoline)

Interesting point, Al - better "living" through chemistry, or a fundementally better starting point. In the real world, the Chevron products are strongly rumored to be using at least some portion of Group II+ along with Group II. The performance differences may only be marginal. I doubt anybody would go wrong with either company's motor oil.

Ray H wrote: "The naysayers were strangely silent for some reason about the hard evidence from the lab report, but I see at least one of 'em is back with his unsubstantiated claims of false advertising by ConocoPhillips. It does raise questions what his agenda is and whom he works for."

I'm not a naysayer, nor putting Trop Artic down...I currently use a
wink.gif
Conoco/Phillips blend (Motorcraft).

As I mentioned previously the 5W-30 Trop Artic bottle sez it exceeds Ford 930A 5W-20 spec (MAX viscosity 9.3). So I'm questioning if a 5W-30 really is this thin, as I though 9.3 was a MIN for 30 weight.
This is why I thought ther might be a possible mistake in labeling. Maybe they intended the label to read "Exceeds Ford 929A" (Ford's 5W-30 spec)...
As I use 5W-20 in my new vehicle, a 5W-20 meeting Ford 930A, with the greatest film strength would be right up my alley.

05 Escape Limited 3.0
02 Mustang GT 4.6
97 F150 Off Road 4.6
97 Probe 2.0
95 Probe GT 2.5

[ July 24, 2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Dr Cpk ]

Ray H can speak for himself, but I believe he is referencing comments made in a previous thread, not anything posted here.

DrCpk - I believe what you are seeing is simply a printing error on the label.

Ford WSS-M2C929-A is the 5W-30 spec.

Ford WSS-M2C930-A is the 5W-20 spec.

These spec's basically mirror the GF-4 performance & physical properties specifications.

SAE viscosity is included, but the phrase "exceeds the WSS-M2C930-A spec" is stating that the test scores are above the minimum passing grade on a variety of GF-4 engine performance tests.

I'll post a link to the spec's if I can find it in my hundreds of bookmarks.
smile.gif

The Ford Engineering Material Specification for SAE 5W-20 service fill oil is WSS-M2C930-A, which specifies primarily ILSAC GF-4 requirements. In addition, VG follower pin and ring wear limits and the 30 mg TEOST limit are specified.

The Ford Engineering Material Specification for SAE 5W-30 service fill oils is WSS-M2C929-A, which specifies ILSAC GF-4 requirements and the additional specifications beyond ILSAC GF-4 that are the same as SAE 5W-20".

Kinda sorta makes a guy (me) wonder, why (when using MC) I'm using 5W-20, instead of 5W-30...the oils are identical other than viscosity/film thickness.

Maybe even go with Trop Artic and save $. Now that Wally World is selling MC again, seems they cannot keep it in stock...and I refuse to pay $2.39/qt at O'Reillys.
I have yet to 'read' anything but good press relative the Conoco/Phillips blends. These oils are light years ahead of the stuff we used in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

quote:

Originally posted by Bill:

quote:

I posted a copy of a UOA for TropArtic "SM" on this very forum a couple of weeks ago

Ray,

Where is this UOA?

I cannot find it, I have been waiting to see a Trop-Arctic Syn Blend UOA.

Thanks

Arrrghhhhhhh! -Charlie Brown. Boy is my face RED! I realized when I read the post above that it wasn't Concoco TropArtic Synthetic Blend compared with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend, but Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Blend (another ConocoPhillips brand whose product data sheet reads nearly identically with that of the other ConocoPhillips sythetic blends). Anyway, here's the thread (dated June 21, 2005) so you can read the comparison yourself. Sorry 'bout the mixup.

[ July 24, 2005, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

FWIW-- I've thrown a couple of quarts of Dollar Tree 10w30 on top of a ST oil change on my daughter's elderly 91 Camry (has a seal leak) and the Trop Artic seems to have cut the oil usage in half. From a quart per week to a quart about every two weeks. Hope the seal doesn't give out quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back