STP oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used one of these on my brother's Lancer once. It seemed to of held up(9K OCI). My only gripe with it, at least in his app, was the filter was really "short." Probably a full inch shorter than the Supertech or Bosch I just put in.

Originally Posted By: labman
So they don't look good. Who has a bad UOA from running one?

Probably no one,i just don't like the construction.

Originally Posted By: daman

Even then, the STP costs 4.49, I can get Wix filters for 4.77. Much better filter for a negligable price difference.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

Even then, the STP costs 4.49, I can get Wix filters for 4.77. Much better filter for a negligable price difference.

BINGO
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: mimelio
I know Champion Labs says it is thermal bonded

thermal bonded my a$$ them end caps peel off VERY easly,it's scary.
crazy2.gif

So what? It's like saying that grained veneer is only xx number of mils deep ..or that dry wall offers no support for weight. The end felt is pressed down upon the empty bottom of the can (no spring/coil/clicker/bypass mechanism) and the top is covered by a dual purpose ADb/bypass valve.

This isn't like a Fram where they're taking a filter meant for metal endcaps and putting in cardboard. It's one that doesn't rely on end cap rigidity to function properly.

Let's put it this way. I can put a 100% floating gasket of any material in there and it would work just fine. If I attached just ONE mm of the gasket so that it didn't move around ..it would work JUST FINE.

Same thing here.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: mimelio
I know Champion Labs says it is thermal bonded

thermal bonded my a$$ them end caps peel off VERY easly,it's scary.
crazy2.gif

So what? It's like saying that grained veneer is only xx number of mils deep ..or that dry wall offers no support for weight. The end felt is pressed down upon the empty bottom of the can (no spring/coil/clicker/bypass mechanism) and the top is covered by a dual purpose ADb/bypass valve.

This isn't like a Fram where they're taking a filter meant for metal endcaps and putting in cardboard. It's one that doesn't rely on end cap rigidity to function properly.

Let's put it this way. I can put a 100% floating gasket of any material in there and it would work just fine. If I attached just ONE mm of the gasket so that it didn't move around ..it would work JUST FINE.

Same thing here.

use 'em,,,knock your self out...

I don't see the point in using these filters. At one time the cheaper filters were a good filter that was priced cheaper. Now the STP,Supertech and Proline filters have increased in price and have shrunk in size.
I would rather spend the few cents more and get a Purolator or Motorcraft. Wix/NAPA or Pureone.

I'll have to cut up the ST I have in the basement then - the last e-core's I cut open 2 years ago had securely attached 'end caps'. That was the only reason I didn't mind running STP's.

Last edited:

There is a guy who posted on this site( I believe it was BITOG )with a Chevy 454 he rebuilt and used an AC filter on. It was the new E-Core design( he didn't know it at the time )and the filter media collapsed causing his motor to self destruct. Last year as I recall?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

There is a guy who posted on this site( I believe it was BITOG )with a Chevy 454 he rebuilt and used an AC filter on. It was the new E-Core design( he didn't know it at the time )and the filter media collapsed causing his motor to self destruct. Last year as I recall?

thats right yes i remember that too.
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I don't see the point in using these filters. At one time the cheaper filters were a good filter that was priced cheaper. Now the STP,Supertech and Proline filters have increased in price and have shrunk in size.
I would rather spend the few cents more and get a Purolator or Motorcraft. Wix/NAPA or Pureone.

The last Purolator I cut open was a big, empty can, hardly anymore media than a Fram and a dome end bypass. ST dropped the 3950. I think my next oil change I will try the downsized number they suggest now. It may have more media than the Purolator.

I remember that thread. IMO, SuperTech filters are fine for an everyday vehicle, but for something running at 8 grand I would be real cautious about it. I stopped using them because I now think there are better values out there, but that's just me.

So the Purolator Prem. Plus is now of lower quality as well?? I have a few I bought last year. I suppose I will go through those and then take them off of my list. My list of good filters is getting very short very quickly.

Unfortunately, they all may be drifting down in the amount of media. Of course economics may be changing to favor less, but better media. I have a lot of doubt about how much good better filters do. A few years ago I was maintaining a 77 Chevy LUV with a PF 1177, a 90 Beretta with a PF 52, and a 92 Grand AM with a HO Quad 4. The newer and higher stressed the engine, the smaller filter, and not just the outside. DUH?

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I remember that thread. IMO, SuperTech filters are fine for an everyday vehicle, but for something running at 8 grand I would be real cautious about it. I stopped using them because I now think there are better values out there, but that's just me.

It had nothing to do with running 8 grand. It had nothing due to a defect. It had to do with the guy believing that defeating the in block bypass port on a Chevy was WISE. It is NOT. With no bypass mechanism, and a high volume pump with cold oil, it turned the media into a sail, fracturing the center tube.

A filter with a steel center tube would (perhaps) not have lunched his engine ..but I'd still wonder how anyone can blame the filter for the damage.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

use 'em,,,knock your self out...

grin2.gif

I have, quite a few times when they were $2.02. When they hit $2.47 and MC was $3.49 ..then I went with MC.

The best buy ended up being the AATG bobo's. but that ended too. Now it's back to MC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back