1980 mercedes diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious as to what kind of oil consumption you Benz diesel guys are seeing. My two old W123 240Ds used noticeable amounts of oil. Not enough that you really needed to be worried on a long trip, but more than, say, a Honda of similar vintage with similar miles.
I will buy another 123 or 115 diesel if I run across a good one. IMHO, the old school Benzes, up through the 201 and 124 are amoung the most desirable used sedans out there. Simple, durable and reliable, the antithesis of bling.
OTOH, is there anything classier than a 123 wagon?

SOme say that old diesel engines leak oil as a regular thing - like there is nothing to it. Does yours leak or consume? Do you see smoke that is excessive?

My 83 300D would leak/consume about 1qt between changes, which was every 4-5000 miles. Most of it was leak from the turbo drain, as I noted it numerous times.

Both cars looked like they had some oil leaking at the rear main seal. Not enough to drip onto the driveway, but there was always some evidence of oil where the bell housing met the engine. This would not have been a trivial fix, since it would have involved hauling out engine and trans as a unit. The automatic cannot be separated from the engine in the 123 while both are installed. I have also been told that a certain amount of leaking and consumption is to be expected. At least you know that with a mechanical pump diesel, with no electronic controls of any kind, it is as happy to burn oil as anything else you can deliver to the combustion chambers.

If properly maintained, they hardly consume any oil, my OM 616 turbo doesn't need top between oil changes which comes to 6000km, I am particular with gaskets and seals though and till now have not had any engine seal failures, this engine has done close to 68000km.

I used Texaco Ursa 15w40 in my 77 240D year round. Was still running strong at 275,000 miles when I sold it. Used about 1 qt every 3000 miles, but no leaks.

my 300d turbo only really consumes when I really get on it on the highway over the course of about 1000 hard miles. But other than that it's pretty good. You have to like these old cars, capable of burning anything. lol

Note for some reason my car was consuming more oil on delvac 1300 than the regular diet of dello.

Quote:

Note for some reason my car was consuming more oil on delvac 1300 than the regular diet of dello.

Same with my 240D...whenever I had to use Delvac because cosco was out of Rotella T, my 240D tended to use more oil. with the Rotella even with almost 320K+ it only uses about 1 quart per 5000 OCI's.
usa2.gif
rugerman.gif

This is an old thread but pertinent to me.

I am picking up my 300D 2.5L 133k miles on Monday. One of the first things I'll do is change my oil (and other fluids). I'll probably use M1 Turbo Diesel but am open to suggestions!

BTW, what specifications does the oil need to meet for my OM602.96?

MB 229.1 is fine, but 229.3 or 229.5 also are great. Ive reviewed the 228.x specs, and they are close enough... in reality, I prefer the security of a diesel-spec oil so I'd shop for that before an MB spec... especially for a w124.

Use whatever HDEO you like. I like rotella 5w-40, M1 TDT, and schaeffer's 9000 5w-40. All will do great. Use OE coolant (with citric acid flushes) and OE ATF, and the car will do great.

I always wanted a 2.5 turbo w124... it has the air ntake slits on the side, right?

Show some pics!!!

Once I get it home I'll post a pic or two. Yuppers on the slits. Can you do extended OCI's (10k) on diesel engines?

Bypass would be a good idea-keep the soot level down=longer OCIs. I change my 300DS around every 3K or so, but it has so many leaks & blowby that it almost changes itself! If it survives my 16 year old (it was bought to be his first car), a rebuild will be in it's future.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Use whatever HDEO you like. I like rotella 5w-40, M1 TDT, and schaeffer's 9000 5w-40. All will do great. Use OE coolant (with citric acid flushes) and OE ATF, and the car will do great.!

JHZR2-
What kind of ATF do you recommend for a 722.4 transmission? I am having a hard time finding a definitive answer about what fluid to use for my tranny?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Bypass would be a good idea-keep the soot level down=longer OCIs. I change my 300DS around every 3K or so, but it has so many leaks & blowby that it almost changes itself! If it survives my 16 year old (it was bought to be his first car), a rebuild will be in it's future.

the older engines actually have a bypass filter built into the big, long cartridge. Not sure if the 2.5 does...

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Use whatever HDEO you like. I like rotella 5w-40, M1 TDT, and schaeffer's 9000 5w-40. All will do great. Use OE coolant (with citric acid flushes) and OE ATF, and the car will do great.!

JHZR2-
What kind of ATF do you recommend for a 722.4 transmission? I am having a hard time finding a definitive answer about what fluid to use for my tranny?

Ill have to look at my notes at home. What does the OM state? I believe it is Dex II, but I am not positive...

If it allows a dex spec, Id be running Dex VI without thinking twice, if the car is half decent... Id at least be using a Dex II/III compatible ATF in there.

There is a new, advanced fluid, spec 236.12, IIRC, which is good for all MB ATs, and may be the best, but is likely $$$.

If dex isnt listed in the manual (it is in all of mine), then it may be a dealer fluid. Febi Bilstein makes one that is decent.

Ill get back to you, but check the manual, it will make the determination easier.

The 722.4 AT is somewhat weak. It will last 250k miles, but likely and on average, 140-160k is what is obtained before a rebuild. Change that fluid often and drive gently, they are the keys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back