Could this be a oil problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
My daily driver is a Mazda 3s with the 2.3 liter engine, 2004 model, manual trans.

The motor just turned 103,000 miles and as soon as that happens something peculiar happened: After a long hard run where the engine and oil get really hot the engine begins to chatter, the sound is coming from head not the block , it doesnt idle rough like it has a bad cam or lobe etc, just chatters.

Now when the engine is cold it runs normal no chattering at all, Could this be a oil problem ? could the oil getting too thin at high temps?
I bought this car new in 2004 and i have ran Mobil 1 10 w 30 in it exclusively since day one.

Is 10-30 too light for a engine with 103,000 miles?

TIA for your answers,

Tundraz

It does sound like the oil is thinning out a bit. Are you really driving it hard? High rpms and big throttle openings?
Then its not uncommon to hear some valve ticking. Does you temp gauge move up at all? If so you might have some cooling issues.
Also how long are you running the oil? Does this happen at the beginning of an interval? Maybe you are running it too long?
I would try some 10W40 and see if it makes a difference as its the cheapest thing to check.
Ian

I really doubt 10w30 is too thin for your application, and I'd hesitate to even run something that thick, and probably wouldn't go any further.

Your description won't get you anything but pure speculation, and maybe some M1 comments. You just don't give enough information. Chatters? Does that mean piston slap? Does that mean one of your engine mounts is toast? Do you have a belt that's squeaking? Or an alternator bearing going out? Could be anything.

So no, 5w30 would be fine in that engine at 250,000 miles. You won't hurt anything by trying something thicker, like a 40wt, but I doubt you'll help it.

Chattering, hey? Not ticking, like a tappy valve? How about an engine stethiscope....

Oh, i forgot to mention one important thing, this started to happen after i switched from regular Mobil one 10-30 to Mobil one 10-30 high mileage the jug with the green label, could this be a clue? Is the high mileage oil formulated differently ?

I change my oil between 3-5000 miles i dont abuse it because its synthetic.

No the Engine temperature doesnt increase the needle is right where it is since the car were new.
However the Mazdas are known for Hot Engines.

The sound is a chatter not a ticking sound like the valvetrain would normally make and the sound is coming from the right (standing in fron) side of the head close to where the sprocket should be on the inside of the head.

Yes the vehicle is specced for 5-20 , but i asked the Mazda Tech at the dealer before i swiched and he said that 10-30 is the highest he would recommend for that engine.

Thanks for your input.

Tundraz

I see OK, I will be following this thread.

I own 04 3 as well...

isn't the 2.3 one that runs oil particularly hot? I recall some time ago someone w/ a REAL oil temp gauge posted his oil temps, and though I don't recall what they were, I do recall they were hotter than I'd be comfortable with if it were my car.

Dave

High temps as always been the achiles heel of Mazda.
The 2.3 is an excellent motor but it runs very hot , no fluctuations with the temp needle though, but it is tough on oil.

Tundraz

103C that's what my electronic scan gauge tells me when Im driving around ..

Originally Posted By: Ndx
103C that's what my electronic scan gauge tells me when Im driving around ..

That's nothing. 250 F is getting up there. 300 F is "HOT".

Could it be because i changed from regular MB1 to MB high mileage it kind of upset the wear pattern ? Like i said this noise started happening about the time i swiched to the high mileage oil.

Does anyone knows if the Mazda 2.3 liter engine uses hydraulic valve adjustment?

Thanks, Tundraz

The HM version of M1 is a higher viscosity at operating temp than regular M1, and it meets ACEA A3 specs. I would not think this is a problem for most engines, but maybe it is an issue in yours. Try going back to reg M1 or another oil entirely to see if noise goes away. Then you would know for sure if it is oil-related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back