Why is Royal Purple so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GrampsintheSand
LOL...I understand. But to say RP is API licensed on a "old" license standard" no longer in effect is misleading as heck Johnny.

The API SL Certification/License is good until August 2009 so it is still "in effect".

Man the hatred some have! You think all the oil companies are marketing the truth???

I'd still be a RP user had I not succumb to all the bashing. Too bad for me I guess.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
The API SL Certification/License is good until August 2009 so it is still "in effect".

Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (GC) is SL. What does that mean for SL oils?

It means there is at least one API SL oil currently on the market that is very good.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bambam
Man the hatred some have! You think all the oil companies are marketing the truth???

Some oil companies only tell the truth. ALL the others lie. (oh, sorry, using "marketing")

Depends which koolaid people drink to find out which oil company tells the "truth".

It's so nice not having to be tied down to a single oil company.
happy2.gif

Take care, Bill

PS: It does keep your post count low...
grin2.gif

A bit off topic here, but has anyone heard that Jody Williams, one of the founders of Royal Purple, passed away in early February? I just read that at:

http://www.mybikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=133776

I was surprised to see that there is no mention of it on the RP website. RP was founded by Jody and his father John in the mid 80s and I believe their website used to note this. Currently the website only mentions John Williams as the founder and a search for Jody comes up empty???

Anyone have any info? Just curious since I called on John & Jody back then when they started up.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Bambam

It's so nice not having to be tied down to a single oil company.
happy2.gif

I've been leaning towards a few oils lately, but I agree
thumbsup2.gif
I have used Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil, Royal Purple, Shell, Chevron, Kendall, plenty more. Now I use Valv Maxlife, PP, MC5000, Motorcraft, Schaeffer's, and Amsoil. I would never want to be loyal to one brand, what's the fun in that
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
RP does not sell as much oil as M1, so they have lower volume to absorb their cost.
M1 uses cheaper Venezuela oil, Royal Purple uses more expensive Canadian crude.
07.gif

Chances are pretty high that RP buys it PAO stock from ExxonMobil.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
I would never want to be loyal to one brand, what's the fun in that
cheers3.gif

+1

Originally Posted By: Mark888
RP does not sell as much oil as M1, so they have lower volume to absorb their cost.
07.gif

I bet you can't go 10 post without mentioning exxonmobil.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
07.gif

I'll take some of that action!

Mikey can not.

If the subject is PAO base stock and PAO manufacturing plants near Port TX, you are probably correct since the one of the worlds largest PAO plants is located a short distance away in Beaumont TX.

I could be wrong, but I don't think any of smaller oil brands like RP have the capability to manufacturer PAO/Ester base stocks. Even some of the larger oil companies buy it from others.

If the subject is PAO base stock and PAO manufacturing plants near Port TX, you are probably correct since the one of the worlds largest PAO plants is located a short distance away in Beaumont TX.

I could be wrong, but I don't think any of smaller oil brands like RP have the capability to manufacturer PAO/Ester base stocks. Even some of the larger oil companies buy it from others.

Correct. Exxon-Mobil is the word's largest producer of PAO and Ester base-stocks.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Correct. Exxon-Mobil is the word's largest producer of PAO and Ester base-stocks.

I think there is a common mis-conception about how motor oil is made. Many companies purchase the base stocks and additives from other companies, so they are in effect just blending the oil, not actually refining it. Even some of the major brands do this in varying degrees.

Even those companies who make their own base stock, may purchase the additives from others. But I would not want to suggest that their is anything wrong with this, or that an oil is better if it was made from ingredients refined/manufactured by the company whose name is on the bottle.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I think there is a common mis-conception about how motor oil is made. Many companies purchase the base stocks and additives from other companies, so they are in effect just blending the oil, not actually refining it. Even some of the major brands do this in varying degrees.

Even those companies who make their own base stock, may purchase the additives from others. But I would not want to suggest that their is anything wrong with this, or that an oil is better if it was made from ingredients refined/manufactured by the company whose name is on the bottle.

So we should just bypass the end product and get the oil from company that started the process.

Since they made the base stock....

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
So we should just bypass the end product and get the oil from company that started the process.

Since they made the base stock....

You seem to delight in misrepresenting others (there is a name for this behavior, but I won't say it here, however it should be banned from this forum). Let me say it again exactly as I posted it above:

"But I would not want to suggest that their [s/b there] is anything wrong with this [blending products made by others], or that an oil is better if it was made from ingredients refined/manufactured by the company whose name is on the bottle."

You conclusion would be sort of like saying that you should go to grocery store to eat a meal instead of a restaurant, since the ingredients come from the grocery store. Or maybe you are trying to say that all restaurants are the same, if they get their food from the same source?

No they (the restaurants) normally don't go to Wal-Mart or another food chain to get their product to produce the menu.

So no, I would not say that.

I delight in keeping things real. No drinking or posting the koolaid.

Been doing it here for 6 and almost 1/2 years.

Oh, and yes, most restaurants get their product from the same places. (small ones from someplace that starts with a N around here and franchised ones from their suppliers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back