changed to synth... what's new oil change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on your driving habits. How is the truck driven?

In general, Tacoma V-6's are very easy on oil - there is a recent UOA from one with 10k miles on dealer bulk Havoline that was fine.

Did you use the syn-blend in the link, or the full-synthetic Pennzoil Platinum?

Ask Toyota. If they find out you didn't stick to the recommended OCI, they might give you trouble even if you used a very good synthetic.

I'm not saying they'd be right to do so, just that it might happen. Car companies generally like to stick to the letter of the law when it comes to warranties.

After the sludging issues Toyota reduced their warranty OCI to 5000 miles on everything, even unaffected engines like yours.

My advice would be to stay at 5000 mile OCI until out of warranty. After that, 7500 miles is no problem (as long as it's not towing, or all city... etc) and wouldn't even require a UOA. Others will go longer, but then you need to start shelling out for the anaylisis, which to me is a false economy.

If I were you, I'd pay the extra for Pennzoil Platinum over what you're using.

I used the synth blend, but I plan to use full synth next time.

The truck is not driven hard, daily driver, 50% highway/50
% city, no dusty roads, no heavy towing, auto trans...

I didn't think to ask Toyota because I expected to get a canned disclaimer reply of "We don't recommend anything different than what your manual says."

BTW, my warranty is expired (it's a 2003) so I'm not concerned about that, just how it will perform realistically.

7500 miles on full synth is what I was thinking would be a safe extension of the OCI... and I agree that it's not worth a UOA unless the UOA is cheap (~$30 or so) to make it up with longer use of the oil... otherwise it's a false economy like you said.

Thanks for the comments.

Groucho

Thanks for the info. I just found their website.

$22 is reasonable for the benefit. It sounds like it'd be worth it to run a UOA at 5k miles, and if it's good, run another UOA at a 7k mile to test the OCI... then maybe another every 20k-25K miles to ensure the OCI is still a good fit for the aging engine.

Regards,

Toyotero

Last edited:
Don't get a UOA at 5000 miles, it will be a waste of money because the oil will definitely still be good.

I would go 7500 and get a UOA, and go from there. They will most likely tell you to go longer.

Search the UOA section of this website, you should find some from the same engine you have.

I agree. Go to 7,500 miles THEN do a UOA. If it looks good then I'd recommend going to whatever you think and then do another UOA with TBN and you'd prob be fine.

In the end you'd do two things.

1. Know what OCI the engine and oil combo is doing well.

2. Not waste the expensive oil. (which in the long run will save you $$ over NOT doing the UOAs and just changing the syn out xx miles (like most of the members here do)

Bill

Originally Posted By: El_Toyotero
I used the synth blend, but I plan to use full synth next time.

The truck is not driven hard, daily driver, 50% highway/50
% city, no dusty roads, no heavy towing, auto trans...

I didn't think to ask Toyota because I expected to get a canned disclaimer reply of "We don't recommend anything different than what your manual says."

BTW, my warranty is expired (it's a 2003) so I'm not concerned about that, just how it will perform realistically.

7500 miles on full synth is what I was thinking would be a safe extension of the OCI... and I agree that it's not worth a UOA unless the UOA is cheap (~$30 or so) to make it up with longer use of the oil... otherwise it's a false economy like you said.

Thanks for the comments.

The blend you bought is a very good oil and will serve you for more than 5K. I do agree with the rest in that I would put Pennzoil Platinum in next time and start doing UOA's at 7.5K. Your Toyota will like the Platinum oil.

Oh,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Don't get a UOA at 5000 miles, it will be a waste of money because the oil will definitely still be good.

I would go 7500 and get a UOA, and go from there. They will most likely tell you to go longer.

Search the UOA section of this website, you should find some from the same engine you have.

I agree, yet a see most UOA done at around 3,000 miles in the UOA area. I never could understand that.

the oil filter quality is also important. what filter was used?

and for OP, you posted in the Diesel section. is your truck a diesel??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back