The Best Synthetic Blend Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

This is my first posting and I love this site. Here's the situation: I own a 1999 Honda Accord with the 2.3 litre I-4 VTEC with 61,000 miles. Up until the last oil change (60,000 miles), I used the oil available at the local Honda dealers, either Valvoline All-climate 5w-30 or Honda dino 5w-30 with Honda OEM filters. I had the oil changed every 2500 miles or three months, which ever came first. I have had no problems with the engine; in fact, a compression test done during the last oil change revealed that all cylinders were running at 172 PSI. There is absolutely no sludge or varnish buildup. For the last change, I switched to Valvoline Durablend 5w-30 (the Honda dealership in St. Charles, IL is kind enough to install the oil that I bring and deduct the cost of the oil from the cost of service). I have been reading a lot about Durablend, Phillips Trop-Arctic blend, Mobil 7500 etc. In your experiences, which synthetic blend oil has produced the best results, especially UOAs? If I continue to change the oil every three months (most of my driving is around town for short trips, therefore the engine heats up and cools down a lot and I will not do extended OCIs), will any of these oils give my engine more longevity? Should I save my money and my time and use whatever dino oil the dealership provides? I hope to run the car for 200,000 to 300,000 miles unless something catastrophic happens. Thank you for your response. I hope my information about my engine and the oil that I use is detailed enough.

Sincerely,
z917990

I just picked up 2 5qt jugs of Castrol syntec blend at WW for just under $11 ea. It seams like a good deal to me and when I looked up some UOA on this site the results looked great. I am sure all of the oils you listed will work fine but I figured I would give you a heads up on the price of the Castrol.

Synthetic blends do not seem to be very popular at this site, except for Schaeffer Oil. From what I have heard on this site, Schaeffer Oil is a very good synthetic blend and perhaps the best. My understanding is it can hold its own against some of the so-called full synthetics.

Do you do some highway driving or is it all short trip driving? Assuming that it's at least some highway driving, say once a week, then you could run just about any oil in that car & not have problems.

Tranny oil, then that's a different story.

Schaeffer is the best blend; I have the reports to prove it.

Of the mass market oils, go with the ConocoPhillips products which include Conoco Hydroclear, Phillips TropArtic, and Motorcraft.

Thank you for all of your replies thus far! Keep them coming, please! I read that Castrol Syntec and the Syntec blend are not good because the base is really not synthetic. Is this true? Second, the car is not run on the highway very frequently. Third, my Accord has a 5 speed manual (somewhat rare in an Accord); I change the fluid every other year and use Honda manual transmission fluid, which is the only fluid that will allow me to keep my warranty. Thank you again.

z917990

Hi,

I don't like semi-synthetics but
IMHO Castrol's Magnatec 10w-40 is probably the best of the bunch available here in OZ

Why not simply buy GC? - its likely the best of the lighter viscosity synthetic oils

Regards
Doug

Go synthetic, or go conventional.

No point going to blends because you never will see any synthetic benefits.

I agree with John in the ATL at 100 percent. I use Schaeffer 10w30 syn blend in my 94 Ranger with a oci of 6k mi. But in my 00 Civic I have used Motorcraft 5w20 and 5w30 and have some Trop artic to use next oil change. I also like Pennzoil products. On the trans, Honda is good lube for it. Also see if Schaeffer has a man trans lube you can use, or poss Redline lubes.

blazerlt
quote:

Simply not true. Premium blends can offer significant advantages over straight group II dinos.

I have been watching the UOAs of Castrol Syntec and I have never seen a bad UOA. It is a quality product, but does carry the Castrol "image" problem. Motorcraft synthetic blend has a lot of good UOAs on this site. You can't go wrong with either.

I have never used Schaeffer blends, but they do receive a lot of good remarks and UOAs. Your Honda should last a long time with a good maintenance routine. I drove an Accord for 205K miles before getting rid of it in the 1990s. Don't forget to change your timing belt.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
Go synthetic, or go conventional.

Not true. Many engines don't need a full synthetic, and only a threshold percentage of synthetic base provides much of the advantages of a full synthetic.

A blend is often a good break in choice for a high stress engine, such as a high output turbo, where a straight dino might not hold up as well.

But that threshold percentage, and how much synthetic base is actually in the OTC blends, calls the better question into play: are blends really a good VALUE? Answers will vary on that one.

Hello Again:

From what you folks say, the synthetic blends that I mentioned, as well as Castrol and Motorcraft, will all serve me well and will give me better protection than regular dino oil. Is this the general consensus? Please keep the comments coming and could you point me toward some UOAs? BTW, NewGuy makes a great point - timing belts are important. I just had mine changed. Thanks again!

z917990

Shaeffer's blends are just plain top notch.

Second would be a home blend IF you know what you are doing. Not for amatuers.

Some of the store bought blends are not worth the $ IMHO....not saying they are bad oils, just saying it's a lot of money for mostly dino oil.

I got a ton of Durablend for free durring their promotion and I couldn't be happier. My truck sounds and runs as well as it ever has; that's not to say other blends aren't as good, but you can find Durablend everywhere and usualy for a good price.

quote:

Originally posted by drums57:
Durablend which is seperior to Mobil 7500.

How'd you come to that conclusion?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back