Life Expectancy of a 2001 GMS Jimmy w/ 4.3 Vortec

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad just bought a 2001 GMC Jimmy, it has the 4.3 Vortec V6 and auto trans, 110,000 miles. Appears to have been very well maintained and cared for. Motor sounds very good, no ticks or other noises. Dad's getting older and this is basically just for his around town running around. They have a newer model minivan for trips if necessary.

Will these Jimmy's go to 200K or more with reg maintenance?

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
It should be able to go over 200K with good maintenance. I'd go ahead and do a coolant flush and transmission fluid flush.

X2 on the coolant flush, and while you're at it give it a good check-out for signs of DexCool damage (heavy deposits in the radiator, coolant leaks, nasty-looking old coolant). If it has those problems, odds are good that an intake gasket job (or worse) is in your future. And if it were mine and even if the old coolant looked flawless, I wouldn't let it NEAR DexCool again, I'd use Zerex, Mopar, or Motorcraft G-05.

Other than that, the 4.3 is about as bulletproof as an old-style (pre-LT1) smallblock Chevy v8 (which it is, minus 2 cylinders).

Roger that. Coolant flush already done, w/Dexcool (and pellets). Trans flush pending. Probably axle/differential drain and fill as well.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
It should be able to go over 200K with good maintenance. I'd go ahead and do a coolant flush and transmission fluid flush.

+1

My boss has a 1995 S-10 with a 4.3. Fortunatly for him it's a pre-Dexcool truck
grin2.gif

It's going on 290K. The rest of the truck is falling apart but the 4.3L runs as good as new.

Blazers/Jimmis of that vintage can nickle/dime you with front torsen bar issues, wheel bearing/ABS exciter rings, etc.. Assuming it's 4wd, is it the selectable 2wd/4hi/4low or is it AWD? The AWD transfer cases are kind of an odd-duck (and costly to repair/replace). The regular 4wd are run of the mill. Just excersize it somewhat regularly and make sure not to run the front diff low on gear oil. The 4.3L / 4L60E combo is great. Interiors are horrible rattle squeek traps, but as always, if the price is right, who cares!

Joel

Last edited:
We've got 225K on a 98 Blazer. It's take A LOT to get to that mileage, but it still runs alright, and it's seen some pretty severe service with some towing at high elevations and tons of rutted out backwoods driving.

It's on it's 3rd tranny and intake gaskets were replaced. Short of that, all the usual maintenance type stuff - brakes, water pump, alternators, shocks, etc.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Its the selectable 4WD. Its my dad's, he got it last week.

That's good! Dunno if you Dad is familiar with part time 4x4 systems, but he might want to get in the habit of exercising the system once or twice a month. The electric shift on the fly actuators tend to lock up from moisture/corrosion if you don't. I used to do this on all my 4x4's while rolling down the driveway without the wheels turned, such that you don't excessively load/bind the drivetrain on a dry surface. Working the parking brake from time to time is also a good plan on older vehicles (if it still works!!)

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
My boss has a 1995 S-10 with a 4.3. Fortunatly for him it's a pre-Dexcool truck
grin2.gif

It's going on 290K. The rest of the truck is falling apart but the 4.3L runs as good as new.

just do a lot of trans drains/fill, now and then 30k's. The motor will last forever.
I'd put in a new cap and rotor, some older ones were prones to moisture problems.

he's right, the engine will outlast the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back