Why synthetic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the talk about synthetic, How to get mileage out of you vehicles (synthetic or not)is to check-it, change-it. I have 514,192 Mi on my 4 cylinder 1994 Camry on regular oil!
No major problems.
Why change now??

Don't! If it worked for 514k miles, don't mess with it!!!

What oil, and how often to do you change it?

Originally Posted By: justchangeit
All the talk about synthetic, How to get mileage out of you vehicles (synthetic or not)is to check-it, change-it. I have 514,192 Mi on my 4 cylinder 1994 Camry on regular oil!
No major problems.
Why change now??

Half a million miles, wow, good deal
thumbsup2.gif

Mostly highway miles?

First 300k every 3-3.5k Now every 6k with lot of highway miles.
every 10k add an additive STP or what ever is on sale.
I use Quaker State. as I said check-it change-it is the Key>

Originally Posted By: Pablo
No need to change now, but 10-15K OCI with synthetic would have gotten you where you are today with a whole lot less oil changes.

True about the oil changes. Great testimony. I like to here those stories.

This is a good point and there are many converts from the 3000 OCI to 6000-8000 OCI synthetic users. For many years I never went over 4000 miles even using synthetic or syn-blend. The key thing for me these days is that the price of oil has more than doubled with the price of conventional oil having gone up a higher percentage than of syn. I am busier these days and especially in the winter it is nice to be able to go 6-8K without worrying about my oil. Also as the standards get more difficult you see some oil companies (ie Phillips) going to all syn or syn-blend. This tells me that the oil companies are finding it more and more difficult to meet the specs with conventional oil. I see the trend of more and more expensive oil with longer drain intervals etc. This is why most people are taking synthetic seriously. Many of us get syn for less than 50% less than conventional with rebates or other good deals. So if we get a 125% longer OCI at 40% higher cost we are definately saving some $$ without sacrificing any protection for our engines. Thats why people use synthetic, better performance and protection at an overall lower cost.

Last edited:
Point well taken, but at what expence difference?

Probably a wash. The difference is small potatoes compared to a few tanks of gas!

I mean some will say they got 9000 quarts of coventional oil on sale with triple rebate for 0.09$/qt, change the oil every 2000 miles, not count their time and say it's cheaper than changing $25 custom made synthetic oil every 5000 miles. Or some will say they scored synthetic for $5qt and change it every 25K and say it's cheaper than $1.99 qt conventional every 3k. I don't like to play those games, so to speak.

I just think of those very short, dark winter days with frozen water and frozen finger.....and having to change the conventional oil, vs changing the oil when I want to.

No major problems.
Why change now??

514,192 Mi!!!!! ??
shocked2.gif
Holy S**&T!!!

Point well taken, but at what expence difference?

You know how much you pay for mineral oil and you know how much synthetic would cost you, so you should be able to figure it out.

Probably the most important difference is the time you save by not having to do it so frequently. How much do you value your time? Of course to some of us, changing an oil is a hobby and a way to relax, so the more often we can do it, the happier we are. :)

I do know the dollar difference.
You picked up on the relaxation !
I enjoy it most on my 55 chevy.

The other is just a work car and
in winter (fair weather oil changer)
I just use a in out quick change
while I am working in between service calls.
(paid time).

No major problems.
Why change now??

I have to ask...why did you post this in the "European and Import Motor Oils" forum?
21.gif

Am a new user and was looking at all areas of the site and just happened to be there when I posted, I wondered that my self!!. after using site I don't think that will happen again. Hey the Blue prints are foriegn and Spec's are foreign, But it was Made in America,that should account for a reason?? That answer your Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back