BRIDGESTONE : Potenza RE 92s' : Do you find ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
them to be unpredictable on rain covered roads ? Especially when cornering in the rain . These are O.E.M. tires for the '09 YARIS 4 door liftback . Don't seem to be a good combo . Thanks

Worse tires I've ever driven on.

Seriously, the no-name Wal-Mart tires I had installed on my (now gone) Tercel were better.

Keep in mind, these are low rolling-resistance, hence part of the problem...

There is a reason the RE92 is ranked 21st out of 22 in the HP category on Tire Rack. They are terrible tires that Bridgestone sells to the OEMs cheap.

Yup. Had them as OEM on a company Sentra. Pretty bad in most aspects. Replaced them with Yoko Avid H4S - night and day difference when it came to wet traction.

the GOODYEAR EAGLE LS tires that came with the '08 YARIS 2 door liftback did much better in rain . Didn't expect the RE 92s' to be so poor in performance . THANKS

Actually, having experience with Eagle LS as well, I must say that they weren't too good either, but yeah, probably slightly better than RE92. There are much better tires out there, at the expense of treadlife and fuel economy, but you can't have it all - you've got to pick your battles.

My opinion is that except for certain high end performance cars, OEM tires tend to be poor performers. B'stone RE92, Goodyear RSA and Firestone GTA tend to rate low in comparisons against their peers. Most consumers don't notice the difference and it's a way for the manufacturer to save a few bucks on the cost of the vehicle.

Ironically, those poor performing 'OEM' tires tend to be priced very high in the aftermarket because so many people just want whatever came with the car in the first place. Similar to the myth that the dealer oil change is somehow special.

For example in my car's size, the [censored] Bridgestone Re92 is $103 yet the Bridgestone's own G019 superior in every way for only $73. That's a $30 per tire ignorance surcharge.

Very bad on wet roads.
OK on dry roads (not great).
Very good at high speeds. At least the V rated one's I had were.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yup. Had them as OEM on a company Sentra. Pretty bad in most aspects. Replaced them with Yoko Avid H4S - night and day difference when it came to wet traction.

Wow on my Esteem I had I felt 100% completely diametrically opposite of this. My Avid H4's(hopefully the updated H4S is much better than H4) were awesome until they heat cured in summer then they were hockey pucks.

They RE92's are however very quick wear with a very poor treadwear rating. That low (180 on most sizes) they should stick like GLUE.

Originally Posted By: ewetho
Wow on my Esteem I had I felt 100% completely diametrically opposite of this. My Avid H4's(hopefully the updated H4S is much better than H4) were awesome until they heat cured in summer then they were hockey pucks.

To be fair, I only had the H4S for about 5 months. After that the car was traded in, so I can't speak for how they behave in the long run.

Originally Posted By: ewetho
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

They RE92's are however very quick wear with a very poor treadwear rating. That low (180 on most sizes) they should stick like GLUE.

They don't. They're LRR tires.
wink.gif

Sadly owned them OEM three times over. 95 Civic, 2004 Subaru WRX and 2005 Legacy turbo wagon.

I found rain traction mediocre but worse was the abhorrent winter traction on slush, snow and ice when they wore down to about 6/32" (20k miles). On two cars I sold the tires to some poor sap. On my Subaru WRX I complained so much to Bridgestone customer care about an out of balance issue Bridgestone dealer could not resolve they allowed me to get the Bridgestone RE960's essentially free.

I cannot believe Bridgestone puts their name on the tires. I think it would ruin their. reputation

RJUNDI , were the RE 960 any better in rain ? I too talked to CUSTOMER CARE about dissatisfaction with the RE 92s' and may get other BRIDGESTONE / FIRESTONE tire in return . Would like the get the WEATHERFORCE from SEARS , but not sure FIRESTONE would allow swapping out with SEARS . THANKS

WOW I can't believe they still make these [censored] tires, they were on my 97 Avalon as OEM 12 years ago! They wore out incredibly quickly (like 15k miles!) and despite being soft had no grip whatsoever. Complete garbage that they charge good money for it. I'd rather get pep boys future than that garbage.

Originally Posted By: smokey1
RJUNDI , were the RE 960 any better in rain ? I too talked to CUSTOMER CARE about dissatisfaction with the RE 92s' and may get other BRIDGESTONE / FIRESTONE tire in return . Would like the get the WEATHERFORCE from SEARS , but not sure FIRESTONE would allow swapping out with SEARS . THANKS

Incredible in rain. Top tier tires and quiet and nice riding. Great in dry.

They work in light snow with more than 6/32" of tread.

Have them on my 2008 Subaur Legacy GT. After 25k miles, they look like they'll go another 25k.

50k out of a set of 215/45/17 tires on an AWD car putting down 250 Hp/tq on 3500 pounds of vehicle.

They haven't gotten loud (not quiet either) and are doing ok in the wet. At 10-20k, they were fine in light snow for acceleration.

I won't replace them before 40k, but at the same time I haven't hated them as much as I expected. I do look forward to putting on a set of superior tires in 225/45/17.

Had them on a wrx, and two legacy gt's. I didn't think they were as bad as what most people thought. Never had noise issues up to about 35,000 miles and never kept the cars so I can't say how they would be beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back