Auto Zone Motor Oil -Who makes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
good question

but if it's like advance autoparts.. They told me their "advance brand" oil is actually made and bottled by penzoil. wouldn't suprise me if other parts-store name oils were also made and bottled by penz or QS.

The oil may be made by Pennzoil, but it's likely to have a lesser additive package, so it's won't be the "same" as Pennzoil. Probably an ok product though. How much do they sell it for?

Advance oil is produced by coastal.
Cant speak for autozone but wouldnt be suprised if theres was to.

Oil is just another commodity to these big store chains and the cheapest oil makes them the most profit.

They only care about price, thats the only way they can compete with the name brands. They are going to have an oil that meets min. specs but meeting specs and being as good as major brands is all to often not the same thing. If you want something better, they have the more expensive brand names to chose from. But they are counting on you being more interested in price and buying thier house brand especially when they imply or let you assume its made by a well know company, so it must be the very same.

So, who makes it means nothing. People assume because name brand X makes this product its the exact same as the same prodcut name brand X sells. If you believe that, you could wrong 100% of the time.

The manager at my Advance auto said their house brand was havoline oil put into advance auto bottles. He also said fwiw he wouldnt put penzoil into any engine, but penz is their best seller.

Who makes it meens little. I work at a Wal-mart distribution center and alot of the cheaper products marketed by Wal-mart under the "Great Value" name etc.. are more often then not made by large companys say like Kraft... . As an example, do you think the Great Value mayo is as good or the same thing as Kraft mayo even though Kraft makes the Great Value mayo for them?

I don't know if I totally agree with that, Mike. This isn't a case of an "Outlet line" of Guess, Gap, Tommy, etc. This is just a bottling/label issue. The advantage that the chain has is that they can manipulate the name brand price so that their label will always be cheaper. WallMart does it ..as do all the rest. I suppose that they are a big enough customer that they could get a cheaper blended oil put in the bottle ..but they don't have to. If you go to American Refining Group, you'll see that they indeed with custom blend and package anything you want. I would doubt that they're going to put a label on their that doesn't list the spec's ..nor to I think Advanced Auto or AZ is going to know how to spec oil blends to "just meet" SL or SJ spec's. I think that it's just a relabeling of the lowest contract bidder deal.

Any experience I have had with store managers is that they don't have a clue who makes the stuff. Most barely have a clue about any of the parts that they are selling either. There is nothing worse than somebody that can't say "I don't know, but I will try to find out for you." Usually they spew some BS to make it sound like they know what they are talking about. This is just my experience, so if you are a store manager and really know your stuff then don't take offense.

quote:

Originally posted by Locomotive:
The manager at my Advance auto said their house brand was havoline oil put into advance auto bottles. He also said fwiw he wouldnt put penzoil into any engine, but penz is their best seller.

on the advance auto oil bottles I have say "compare to havoline, not distributed or made by chevrontexaco"

i was in pepboys today buying some maxlife and a couple purolater filters when the store manager came up to me and tried to persuade me to buy their proline oil and filter he said bot their oil and filters are quaker state and that,s all he uses even in his vette i mean this guy really wanted me to purchase their brand he said all maxlife was was some regular oil with some stp mixed in

quote:

Originally posted by jc1990:
i was in pepboys today buying some maxlife and a couple purolater filters when the store manager came up to me and tried to persuade me to buy their proline oil and filter he said bot their oil and filters are quaker state and that,s all he uses even in his vette i mean this guy really wanted me to purchase their brand he said all maxlife was was some regular oil with some stp mixed in

He is full of cr-p, look at the bottom of the Proline Oil and you will see the WPP stamp from Warren. Its the same oil as Walmarts Supertech most likely at 50% more cost around here.

quote:

Originally posted by Locomotive:

Proof that many of the employees have no clue about the product. It says right on the package that it is NOT made by Havoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back