MMO vs TCW3 as a fuel additive

2-cycle castor oil smell a lot better than MMO when burned. I run castor based TC oil mix when I am out camping because I run the pickup truck at high idle to charge up the RV. No one has ever complain about the exhaust smell in my camp.

Here is some data on my 2006 Honda Ridgeline Truck. The truck has ~44k on it now and I used either PP or QHP 5w-20.

overall without any MMO or TCW-3;

26476.3miles/1365.771gal=19.38miles/gal

With MMO; 2 tanksfuls

601.6miles/32.113gal=18.74miles/gal

With TCW-3; 3 tanksfuls

1023.7miles/52.441gal=19.52miles/gal

Not sure if there is enough data. I stop using MMO and will continue to use 1oz/5gal of TCW-3.

I will report more data with TCW-3 after I have gone through more tanksful.

That is interesting that the MMO caused a drop in mpg. What was the dose you were using with MMO? From what I've read the 1oz/5 gallons of gas is the perfect dose for the TCW3. MMO is somewhere around 2oz/5gallons of gas.

Looks like the correct dose. How many tanks did you run before you changed to TCW-3? Also could you have been running winter gas with the MMO? Winter gas stinks as far as getting good mpgs. There are so many variables. I read a thread on another board it was very long about people using TCW-3 and getting fantastic results with it. Then I read somewhere else people getting the same kind of results with MMO.

AD

I ran 2 tankful of MMO on 2/9/09 and 2/25/09. I was thinking that winter grade gas effected the numbers and it was only for 2 tankfuls. After that, i switched to TCW-3 for 3 tankful so far.

So if I understand everyone correctly, MMO or TCW3 at the right dose works like Lucas UCL and injector cleaner. I have been using the UCL for a while, but the gallons went from $19.99 to $30.00 recently and am going to stop using it once my supply is gone.

TCW3 and MMO work well as a top oil/UCL. My feeling is MMO does a better job cleaning than TCW3 will. Keep in mind if you are trying to really clean a carb or fuel injectors the best thing to do is use a cleaner specifically made for that purpose. Once clean MMO will keep them clean, as well as any added benefits of a UCL, and perhaps some additional mpgs.

I always use an upper cyl lube, so I really can't compare to plain gas anymore.
I use MMO or 2 stroke. Lucas UCL if I feel rich.
I do it because of the extraprotection and possible better sealing -especially with today's alcohol infused fuels.. Any MPG or power benefits are a plus, but not the object.

I have used MMO, Lucas UCL, and most recently Penzoil Synthetic Blend TCW-3.
I cant tell a difference in mileage with or without them.

However, I believe that the TCW-3 has more detergents than most people think. I have spilled some on myself and it started to burn after a few seconds, chemical burn. I know my skin and carbon deposits are 2 different things, but still...
grin2.gif

Also, shopping the Closeout section of Walmart during winter you can find some quality synthetic and synthetic blend TCW-3. I picked up the Gallon of Penzoil I have for $9 back in December or Jan.
Also, in Feb I had my Texas State inspection with the Emissions test done with a tank full of gas and 5 oz of TCW-3, passed it with flying colors.

I think TC-W3 increases combustion temperature enough that it makes the catalytic converters run hotter. That should make them more efficient, and your exhaust contain less pollutants.

I know that having TC-W3 in my fuel prevents my check engine light from coming on to tell me that one of my cats isn't working efficiently. Every time I discontinue use of TC-W3 the light comes on within a hundred miles.

I use castrol outboard TC-W3 I find it much better than Lucas because the car is more quite and doesn't loose power.

MMO over here I can't find,but I wouldn't used it anyway.

Here is a general observation about TCW3. I switched to it about 1 month ago, and noticed the inside of my tail pipe which is usually close to black in color, is now almost soot free. This is at a rate of 1 ounce/5 gallons of gas. It actually cleaned up the inside of the exhaust pipe.

Edit: Dad runs MMO in the gas, and he has no soot either.

AD

Last edited:
I, too have noticed that my exhaust pipes are cleaner than they used to be. I've been using TC-W3 in my fuel at a 500:1 ratio for over 5,000 miles now.

Here comes the newbie...

Can't find out anywhere what this MMO and TC-W3 is. I swore off oil additives years ago. Could this change everything? Where can I find this stuff? Mainly what's it stand for, haha.

MMO= Marvel Mystery Oil

TC-W3= Two Cycle Oil for Water cooled engines maine applications. It is not the same as TC oil.

Both can be found at Wal-Mart, Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, etc.

I've been using 5oz of MMO in 18gal tank in my Volvo S60 for a couple of months and just started using it in my 850. So far the S60 is showing an increase of 2mpg; results are not out for the 850 yet.

I dropped the amount to 4oz in 18gal in the S60 for one gas fill and the mpg dropped back almost as if I had no MMO in the tank. Upped it back to 5oz and the mpg increased back to 2mpg. Haven't tried more than 5oz.

Thanks for posting, it proves that the recommended dose is just that, a recommended dose. Experimentation is my suggestion, and several people are getting positive results such as increased mpgs.

On both our vehicles I use 4oz of MMO about once a month or on a long trip. Can't give exacts but doesn't help much on mpg, probably only .5 or 1 if that. Does quiet and remove most vibrations though which on a long trip really helps. I don't think MMO is very good a cleaning injectors though. I combined 4oz of MMO and one big bottle of STP and combined.. what a difference. Since then our Escape starts up quicker than with just MMO and that's been at least four tanks ago.

In our mowers I run a ounce to a gallon. A bit much but never have any problems. Pulled the head off of a couple briggs and the piston and head was spotless. The valves still had some carbon but came off easily. Can't say much on 2 cycles since I got a few but with 32.1 mixture and 1oz to gallon they start almost to easily.

MMO is not a FI cleaner, in fact in a conversation with Rich Kelly he suggested using a good FI cleaner first, then using MMO. MMO will keep things clean and well lubed after a good cleaner is used.

That STP FI mix probably did some nice cleaning! Have you tried MMO as a steady diet in your vehicles ever? Or is it only the once/month treatment. Some guys say it takes a few tankfuls for best results and improved mpgs. I use it all the time in the gas.

You're right about how it works in small engines, I've had similar observations!

Back