Why OEM Rims (wheels) more than aftermarket??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at some after market rims for my Toyota and noticed that the OEM aluminium rims are more that twice the price? The OEM rims are usually don't look as good either. Why is that?
21.gif

Because they can, and smaller volume. People usually buy OEM rims one at a time to replace a bent/damaged rim. Cheaper to pay $400 for one rim than $1000 for 4 after-market rims.

Some OEM rims, like Toyota FJ TRD Anthracite rims are very popular. Most dealers won't sell them to you (as per Toyota's directive) unless your VIN matches a vehicle that had those from the factory.
People buy and resell them for lot of money.

They're sturdy and stylish. Everyone loves the OEM wheels.

Actually, I think they're expensive because they're scarce. Not much incentive to churn out a huge supply of wheels when you might be stuck with them.

Originally Posted By: tropic
They're sturdy and stylish. Everyone loves the OEM wheels.

Actually, I think they're expensive because they're scarce. Not much incentive to churn out a huge supply of wheels when you might be stuck with them.

+1

They usually make them for people in crashes and stuff like that..

You'd be surprised how lousy many aftermarket rims are. The amount of cheap junk being dumped here from foundries in China and other places is staggering. There is (was) a lot of money to be made in the custom wheel business so plenty of people sourced the cheapest product possible, chrome plated it, leased a couple of Bentley's to pimp out, hired some fly girls and went to market.

OEM wheels have to meet very strict standards and specs developed by the automaker. Aftermarket wheels don't have to meet squat except a price point.

Yes, production volumes are part of the pricing. However, I'll bet your typical OEM buys more rims in a year than any Unique Motorsports type shop. OEM's buy just enough to cover their production needs plus some overages for collision, parts, etc.

IMO OEM wheels looks better, even those cruddy steelies you see on work trucks. Way better then those tacky chrome "dub" wheels with "racing" tires, but it varies with peoples tastes.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is junk out there, no doubt... but many aftermarket applications are the same or higher quality than OEM. Heck, my last Acura's OEM wheels had the Enkei logo on the inside spokes...

There is one thing I hate about most aftermarket rims,do not leave room for an impact socket to removee the lug nuts and a chrome socket has to be used.Most yards sold the OEM rims to scrap buyers,$15.00 to $20.00 a piece.It is not worth doing right now,the price of scrap is down.

there are cheap aftermarket wheels and expensive ones. the expensive ones are usually make better than OEM and meet TUV and DOT ratings. the cheap ones barely fit and usually need hub rings.

My aftermarket wheels for the Sunfire are made by ASA. My style also so happens to be used by VW, of which they sell single rim replacements for more than I purchased my set of four!
shocked2.gif

Weight...

My OEM's are forged and weigh 9lbs a piece, they are a 14" rim. The local tire shoppe wants $125 a piece for similar rims that are called "Ultralights" and weigh about 25lbs a piece.

Another is, really high quality rims will have steel inserts where the rim meets the lugnut.

Of course forged lightweight rims with steel inserts aren't cheap... My oems have both those features...
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IntegraVT
There is junk out there, no doubt... but many aftermarket applications are the same or higher quality than OEM. Heck, my last Acura's OEM wheels had the Enkei logo on the inside spokes...

Automakers don't buy any ol' wheel and put their logo on it. Wheel mfr's have to meet all the standards and specs created by the automaker before the wheel is sold and installed. Enkei had to go thru an approval process before they could produce the first wheel for Honda.

Fact is, automakers do not produce the wheels on their cars. It's all outsourced. Some wheels are made by well known aftermarket companies like Enkei, others by companies like Hayes-Lemmerz who is probably the largest wheel mfr in the world.

The problem is, how does the consumer determine the difference between a high quality aftermarket wheel and a lousy one? Price doesn't work. Sometime brand helps. Does the guy selling them know much more about wheels than you do? Look for TUV ratings, current ISO certifications, etc.

GM has six or so different wheels for the same size black steel wheel looking identical.
Different sturdiness. One needs to identify the stamped number inside to locate a proper one.

Wheels may broke without giving a signal. I'm preferring cold rolled OEM steel for the failure mode. In many cases these are also lighter than the cast metals.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
My aftermarket wheels for the Sunfire are made by ASA. My style also so happens to be used by VW, of which they sell single rim replacements for more than I purchased my set of four!
shocked2.gif

The reason for the price disparity is simple. ASA is a Korean company which produces its wheels in the Far-East. The wheels you purchased look like a style used by Volkswagen because ASA has licensed many of BBS' designs.

Volkswagen's wheels are produced by the European companies Ronal, Fundo, Borbet, OZ, Speedline and BBS.

Cheers

You can often find nearly-new wheels with nearly-new tires from morons who are "upgrading" to bigger wheels with low-profile tires.

Often you can find a set of four wheels and tires for less than the cost of the tires alone.

Originally Posted By: gamefoo21
Weight...

My OEM's are forged and weigh 9lbs a piece, they are a 14" rim. The local tire shoppe wants $125 a piece for similar rims that are called "Ultralights" and weigh about 25lbs a piece.

Another is, really high quality rims will have steel inserts where the rim meets the lugnut.

Of course forged lightweight rims with steel inserts aren't cheap... My oems have both those features...
LOL.gif

Do you have a miata? New Mini?
Most OEM alloy wheels are 20lbs+, often heavier than the same size steel wheel, as they are usually cast, not forged.
I'm sure they are decent quality but nothing special for the most part.
I'm very interested in which car you have, I do solo 2 and getting 9lb wheels would be a nice upgrade over my steelies.
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back