Designing the Dodge Neon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Interesting story. I've only had a chance to skim it yet but I will definitely be reading it fully...

'Concentration on costs to corporation and not value to customer.'

This line says it all regarding Chryslers demise.

pbm said:

This line says it all regarding Chryslers demise. [/quote Most all products are that way yet the consumers keep on buying.

There is often a perception that american automakers can't make a small, fuel efficient car at a profit to save their lives.

Neons prove that theory wrong.

It was always my opinion that Neon's were total junk.

An opinion likely gathered from some of the issues the early Neon's had which established a reputation they never overcame.

Two years ago the opportunity presented itself to purchase a 2001 Neon from a co-worker for a really good price. Despite my opinion I decided to go for it. No regrets and I have been enjoying this vehicle. Just yesterday I was wishing there was still the opportunity to purchase a new Neon.

I have put a few dollars into it getting the maintenance and wear 'n tear items brought up to par. The oil analysis results have always been good so based on that and general condition of the vehicle I am encouraged to continue putting money into it.

In this area I am seeing a lot of Neon's still on the road so it would seem people who have them like them and are hanging on.

Originally Posted By: Paul56
In this area I am seeing a lot of Neon's still on the road so it would seem people who have them like them and are hanging on.

I agree completely. They are cheap little cars that seem to hold up -- I still see a fair share on the road. I also think the looks of the 00-01 neons are really nice and aged well with cars now.

I had a very early '95 that my parents bought for me when I was 16. It turned out to be a very solid car, I ran it for 11 years and finally sold it with 182k miles on it. I was good with the maintenance on it, and other than an oxygen sensor the only other major repair I had was when the bearing on the timing belt tensioner pulley froze at 140k.

Maintenance on it was easy, it had good power until it hit 160k, the ride was lousy but handling was good. It was a great city/commuter car.

I think what kills a lot of them is that people don't do the timing belt, and since it is an interference motor when it snaps the car is often sent to the junkyard.

The's a book about the design of the 1996 Taurus called Car: A Drama of the American Workplace.

I found it a fascinating read about just what goes into car design. From things like, "What do we name the engine?", to things like the cost of a cargo net. (Lincoln and Mustang use the same net, but the former costs more.)

Some reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Car-American-Workp...43804582&sr=1-5

We had a 95 Neon...total junk. But I loved the way it handled...

- 2 head gaskets

-ate batteries-

Nearly anything with a computer died.

The last straw was the oil leak...would lose and burn up to 3 qts at a time....

GTX, QS, ST, didn't matter..even ate Maxlife....

Even after all of that, I'd still get another one...

Loved the looks, and it was simply fun to drive....

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: pbm

This line says it all regarding Chryslers demise.
Most all products are that way yet the consumers keep on buying.

There's a difference between losing 8% of the thickness of your triple-ply toilet paper, versus a multi-thousand dollar vehicle repair...

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
There's a difference between losing 8% of the thickness of your triple-ply toilet paper, versus a multi-thousand dollar vehicle repair...

Well put.

19th Century news.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
I know a few people that HAD a neon....nothing but trouble....seems a big problem was head gaskets...

Originally Posted By: Challenger71
19th Century news.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
I know a few people that HAD a neon....nothing but trouble....seems a big problem was head gaskets...

Yep.

It's good to know what you are getting into...

Great detailed study of the atmosphere and culture clashes at Chrysler.

I was there at the local Dodge dealer when the first batch of neons hit the lot. And I have to tell you the design was very good. It was only the cost cutting of assinine things as were mentioned that destroyed the cars basic goodness. I rememebr driving one for the first time (5sp manual 4dr), and I loved it. It handling was AMAZING, and was better then anything else in its class at the time, it was like driving a modern MKII Golf GTI. Sure a few things were a bit cheap BUT this was a bargin basment price, and it was great overall in execution, again just Eaton and his stupid cost cutting that destroyed the cars reputation, it really was a terrible shame.

That is why there is no reason why a exec should receive the huge sums they do until the company shows total competence, not just the best profits to the exclusion of everything else.

If Chrysler would have not made the compromises in the cost saving measures the car would have still been around today and Chrysler would have had a viable domestic small car program right now.

What a terrible shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back