Amsoil MP is the absolute worst

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sprayed it on all the hinges in my house and now when I want to open the door to my bathroom just a crack after a shower it swings all the way open. It used to creek open just a little bit and I would have to push it fully open. Its not just my bathroom door either all of my doors do the same thing. If that wasn't bad enough I sprayed the hinges 3 weeks ago and they still swing so efortlessly and quitely I can sneek in on my 15 month old's room and she doesn't even know I am there.
mad.gif

Is there a way to clean the MP off of the hinges without taking them all apart that will not damage the paint? I really cannot see anyone needing an effective lubricant like this.

huh?

is this serious? The shower swinging more than desired may be one thing... but gee.

No I was not serious. Actually I found it interesting A) how well it lubricated all the hinges and how every door in the house was hung in such a way that they would swing to full open but never have before and B) how long it is lasting. 4 weeks later still swinging wide open with no sound. If I had only used it on the door to the babies room when she was 1, 2, 3 months old, maybe the wife could have gotten more sleep. Until recently you could not get past that door with out her waking up.

I'll add this to my "to do list" for the weekend. Work on sense of humor no room on this weekends list.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
I sprayed it on all the hinges in my house and now when I want to open the door to my bathroom just a crack after a shower it swings all the way open. It used to creek open just a little bit and I would have to push it fully open. Its not just my bathroom door either all of my doors do the same thing. If that wasn't bad enough I sprayed the hinges 3 weeks ago and they still swing so efortlessly and quitely I can sneek in on my 15 month old's room and she doesn't even know I am there.
mad.gif

Is there a way to clean the MP off of the hinges without taking them all apart that will not damage the paint? I really cannot see anyone needing an effective lubricant like this.

Haw haw! What were you expecting a hard rusty hinge? Amsoil is very good stuff. I dread to think how bad some one would slip and fall if I spilled some of ANY Amsoil product on the floor. It isn't like it just washes off. I recently changed to their 5w30 100% synthetic (not the XL7500 stuff) in a switch from castrol edge. I am sticking to Amsoil now, it is expensive but worth the money. Now I just want to covert my dad to Amsoil for his '09 Challenger SRT8. My car is an '02 Dodge Neon SXT.

Friend of mine did the drawers on a small cabinet in his mother's kitchen many years ago. Then he found out that the floor wasn't level--and the drawers kept opening.

His dad worked at a plant which made silverware. They liked the MP so well that it became an item which had to be signed out from the tool room (as well as silver solder). It was the only way they could keep it form walking out the door at shift change.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
I used this stuff to undercoat my car, and the expedition, lol. One can goes a LONG WAY.

MP or MPHD? The MPHD has the waxy coating which would work well for under coating.

Thanks, Tater, nice read.

On a related note, a couple of months ago I used Amsoil MP on a computer chipset fan which had seized after trying a couple of other things to get it going. I thought the designed "creep" action might get into some place the other oils I was trying would not. It came back to life and was quiet for weeks while I sourced a replacement at my leisure.

Boy was I surprised at how effective it was as a penetrating lubricant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back