i think I found a remedy for the 4.7 lifter noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone own a Dodge Durango, Or Dakota With a 4.7V8 with noisy lifters (actally lash adjusters)? I own a durango, and it had the lifter tick that lasted for about 30 seconds, to a minute after cold start ups. I did an oil change on my truck and I used 5W20 oil Versus my normal 5W30, and already the noise is 50% quieter and lasts at a maximum of 15-20 sec. i kid you not, i think i found a remedy. Oh and the plus side to all of this, The dodge 4.7 V8 is now speced for 5W20 any way.

I posted this thread earlier in the general automotive section, but being as how this is oil related I want to share with you all... My experience. Anyone own a Dodge Durango, Or Dakota With a 4.7V8 with noisy lifters (actally lash adjusters)? I own a durango, and it had the lifter tick that lasted for about 30 seconds, to a minute after cold start ups. I did an oil change on my truck and I used 5W20 oil Versus my normal 5W30, and already the noise is 50% quieter and lasts at a maximum of 15-20 sec. i kid you not, i think i found a remedy. Oh and the plus side to all of this, The dodge 4.7 V8 is now speced for 5W20 any way.

Last edited:
I had 3 4.7 Durangos...all were flawless with never a peep or leak or problem. But if you are having cold start lifter tick I would recommend you try 2-3 OCI's with PP and clean that engine up a bit. OR you could auto-rx it and see if that helps.

I started putting 5W20 then 0W20 in my step-moms '04 Ram with the 4.7. Very quiet. Well, at least until the engine started missing and nobody did anything about it for 8,000 miles and the Amsoil thickened to a 30.

Here are the filters i have used
mobil 1
STP
WIX
Puolator
Fram
Baldwin
Fleet Guard

none of them made any adverse difference on my dodge as far as the noise factor went, but I will tell you this. The mobil 1 filter is HIGHLY Over rated

I found that thinner oil makes my engine much quieter last summer. My '00 E430 with 10x,xxx miles requires M1 0W40, I had PP 5W20 last summer and engine noise was absent within few hundreds miles.

Different experience here.

My '08 4.7 (48k miles) has been noisy since I can remember, all running on M1 0w20 and PP 5w20. Engine had consistent valvetrain clatter on the M1 at any point during the 7500 mile OCI's. With the PP, it seemed to quiet down for the first few hundred miles, but then came back with a vengeance and now after 4k miles, is louder than it was previously with Mobil 1.

The engine runs great on both oils, but I'm getting sick of the valvetrain noise. Next time around, going with German Castrol 0w30. Hopefully the 30wt that was originally specced for these engines (and still is everywhere else in the world) will help quiet things down a bit.

I can't find the link, but Chrysler actually recommends changing out the factory 5w20 fill for a 5w30 outside of the United States. Only in the US, where CAFE standards apply, is the 5w20 oil recommended.

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
Only in the US, where CAFE standards apply, is the 5w20 oil recommended.

I also think that 5w-20 isn't as easy to get in other parts of the world as it is in the US. That along with CAFE could be a reason why a more popular easier to obtain oil is suggested. Glad to hear the thinner oil helped with others oil related noises.

Originally Posted By: grease_monkey
I posted this thread earlier in the general automotive section, but being as how this is oil related I want to share with you all... My experience. Anyone own a Dodge Durango, Or Dakota With a 4.7V8 with noisy lifters (actally lash adjusters)? I own a durango, and it had the lifter tick that lasted for about 30 seconds, to a minute after cold start ups. I did an oil change on my truck and I used 5W20 oil Versus my normal 5W30, and already the noise is 50% quieter and lasts at a maximum of 15-20 sec. i kid you not, i think i found a remedy. Oh and the plus side to all of this, The dodge 4.7 V8 is now speced for 5W20 any way.

grease,

I have a Durango with a 4.7 V-8 just like you have with the same symtoms. I just don't worry about it much cuz it's always dissapeared within a minute or so. I've never had the guts to try a 5W-20 oil cuz I asked about this before and no one answered my question so I stayed with the 5W-30 weight. The only synthetic oil I tried and received NO early morning ticking noise was Quaker State "Q" in the same weight. Fantastic oil in my opinion. My current oil now is M1 "SUV" formula.

Good luck,

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
My current oil now is M1 "SUV" formula.

How does your 4.7 like M1? I picked up 6 quarts of M1 5w-20 EP for $19 and plan on running it this winter.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I also think that 5w-20 isn't as easy to get in other parts of the world as it is in the US. That along with CAFE could be a reason why a more popular easier to obtain oil is suggested. Glad to hear the thinner oil helped with others oil related noises.

That's a chicken and egg argument. If the auto-makers would spec it, then availability would not be a problem. German automakers spec oil on some cars that are (or at least were) only available at dealers, but then retailers in the US starting importing it and stocking it.

I posted this thread earlier in the general automotive section, but being as how this is oil related I want to share with you all... My experience. Anyone own a Dodge Durango, Or Dakota With a 4.7V8 with noisy lifters (actally lash adjusters)?

I've never owned a 4.7 yet, although my Dad just bought one last fall. I haven't done any more than look at his, though. We did just sell my wife's old 93 Vision with a 3.5 v6, and it was prone to noisy lash adjusters. In its case, it was the oil FILTER that made all the difference. It never made any noises on Purolator filters, but would sometimes tick with a Wix. Don't know why. At any rate, it ran out to nearly 260k miles without a hiccup and was still running well when sold.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I've never owned a 4.7 yet, although my Dad just bought one last fall. I haven't done any more than look at his, though. We did just sell my wife's old 93 Vision with a 3.5 v6, and it was prone to noisy lash adjusters. In its case, it was the oil FILTER that made all the difference. It never made any noises on Purolator filters, but would sometimes tick with a Wix. Don't know why. At any rate, it ran out to nearly 260k miles without a hiccup and was still running well when sold.

One possible explanation on the filter making a difference is that some filters have poor anti-drain-back valves, and the filter is empty at engine start-up. This could delay when oil is supplied to critical engine parts immediately after startup.

A well-designed silicone anti-drain-back valve is usually considered to be best.

but I will tell you this. The mobil 1 filter is HIGHLY Over rated

Fixed it
LOL.gif
jk
couldnt resist :)

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

One possible explanation on the filter making a difference is that some filters have poor anti-drain-back valves, and the filter is empty at engine start-up.

EXACTLY. Which is why I found it odd that this particular engine would sometimes tick with a Wix filter, which has a notoriously good ADB valve and never gave me a problem on any other engine. Just one of those strange things- maybe random chance that I got a few slightly leaky Wix ADB valves that went on that car instead of one of the others. Can't rule that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back