KOHLER vs. Briggs and Stratton

Status
Not open for further replies.

arh

Whats the driffrence between the two in terms of reliability? Looking for a new push mower and Ariens has KOHLERS on them. I want to spend some decent money and get a good push mower instead of the two year "throw away" types. Any suggestions for a good push mower also welcome. Thanks in advance

Both Kohler and Briggs make a residential series engine and a commercial series engine.

The Kohler Command series is the iron lined commercial use engine. Heavy bearings the whole nine yards.

Briggs is a difrferent can of worms as they make the 300 SERIES TO A 600 SERIES RESIDENTIAL USE TYPE ENGINES. THEN THEY HAVE THE dov (DUAL OVERHEAR VALVE) RESIDENTIAL SERIES.

THEN THE POWERBUILT/IC AND INTEK....XRD AND EXTENDED LIFE WITH XRD...AND THEN THE VANGUARD V-TWIN MADE BY DHATSU IN JAPAN WHICH IS THEIR TRUE COMMERCIAL ENGINES.

WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE VANGUARD THE REST ARE RESIDENTIAL UNITS.

They make anything from the best you see on top drawer tractors like Simplicity to garbage that you see sported on MTD's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: arh
..Looking for a new push mower and Ariens has KOHLERS on them.

Geeze I didn't realize anyone put a Kohler on a small push mower. In reality though, it's everything around the engine that matters most; Heavy rust proof deck, heavy wheels and associated hardware, heavy handlebars, etc... It looks like Ariens uses a plain'ol stamped steel deck. I personally wouldn't pony up that kinda bucks unless it was cast aluminum. IMO as far as engines go, any of the name brand OHVs are awesome. I even like the Chinese imported ones. Again, I wouldn't pay a premium price for a new mower with a flat-head briggs or leftover flat head Tecumseh (Tecumseh went by-by).

Joel

Last edited:
This 4-cycle single-cylinder air-cooled vertical shaft engine features OHV, aluminum head and crankcase with cast-iron liners, forged steel crankshaft, flywheel ball bearing and splash lubrication. The engine is CARB and EPA emissions compliant and is backed by a two-year warranty.

This is what Ariens is using....topdrawer engine their new XT-7 Kokler. Better than most of what Briggs seems to have.

The Briggs Vanguard/Kohler Command/Honda GX-270 series and Kawasaki are the cream of the commercial engines.

The new XT-7 Kohler is the cream of "semi-commercial engines".

Last edited:
Doesn't grass grow for something like 4 months up there in Minnesota. I've already mowed my yard 7 times down here. Gotta love St. Augustine grass.

Just do what I do. Go to a large pawn shop and buy a NICE mower for a third of what you would normally pay. Change the oil, plug, and filter. Put some carb cleaner in for a couple of tanks and have a blast.

I don't think there have been any real problems with the YinXiang engines on MTDs, and the Courage XT looks to be a close relative. If Kohler is backing it, I would have no problems picking it over a Briggs (no Vanguards that small for walk brhinds).

i think the toro mowers are the best push mowers.i didnt know that tecumseh went under,sad to hear that.they were a good engine in their day.anyone remember the wisconsin engines??,they were alot like the old kohler motor.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
i think the toro mowers are the best push mowers.i didnt know that tecumseh went under,sad to hear that.they were a good engine in their day.anyone remember the wisconsin engines??,they were alot like the old kohler motor.

Uh, what exactly is the status of Tecumseh engines? If you do a Google on the subject, it shows that they went bankrupt, or at least a part of them did back in 2007. However, a press report from February of 2009 shows them to be in business. Their web page is current and shows a product line.
I'm speculating most of their product is built overseas. Anybody?

The Tecumseh Company was taken over by some management outfit.
The engines are still available; but are made someplace other than the old line was.
China?
I paid a bit more for my Lawn Boy with the Honda engine.
Toro, Lawn Boy, and a few others have TWO lines or series of mowers. The cast decks and the better engines cost more of course, but are generally worth the cost.
As with any product, shop around.
Some outlets around here are selling last years models for a discount off the current prices even thoughth mowers have no real changes from one year to the next.
A 'left over' brand name might be a better choice than the 'no name' or MTD or Murrey stuff.

Got an 10 year old B&S 3.5hp push mower. Still runs fine. Surprisingly doesn't use oil. It was the cheapest one. I think if you take care of one, it will last (maintenance wise). Mine gets some very rough work done. Cranks real easy and still has tons of power. I run the governor wide open to cut the ditches I do. Great engine.

Another thing you want to consider with respect to wanting the best of the best in a push mower is; Accidentally mow over one unseen obstacle and the crank will bend just as easily on your $600-1000 mower as it would on a $150 one. Again, I do think having good strong wheels, hubs, adjusters, etc is paramount. You can scrape the underside of a steel deck and have it last many years. A cast aluminum deck you can neglect and they still last forever. The engine on one of these is a minor detail.

Joel

The new Kohler engines on push mowers appear to be rebadged chinese engines. There is nothing wrong with them BTW. I concur with the opinion that the quality of the deck and wheels is MUCH more important.

Originally Posted By: JTK

They sure are getting harder to tell these days. The Kohler Courage XT-7 is indeed a Kohler product.........

Well a Kohler engine made in China by Kohler-Yinxiang, so technically it is a Kohler.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: punisher
..Well a Kohler engine made in China by Kohler-Yinxiang, so technically it is a Kohler.

Sure enough! >> http://www.kohlerengines.com/press/article.htm?articleId=Walkbehind

Joel

This doesn't surprise me in the least.
I used to work as a mechanic in a place that had three-wheel Cushman scooters that were powered by Kohler 8hp engines. We found a place that sold these complete engines for such a good price that we just bought the long blocks instead of overhauling the existing engines whenever they would get wore out.
These long blocks were made in Mexico. By reading the previous article, I guess Mexican labor became too high priced for Kohler.

Why is it that I am fine with Japanese or products made in Taiwan but not interested in products Made in China?

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Why is it that I am fine with Japanese or products made in Taiwan but not interested in products Made in China?

I think part of it is generational. When I was a kid (late 60s/early 70s) I felt that way about Japanese goods. That changed in the late 70s.

My grandkids might regard Chinese goods as the "good stuff" in a decade or so.

Today, there is a really easy to determine new small engine lifespan. The EPA has a code on the compliance sticker.

Small engines like push mowers.

A=500hr=extended
B=250hr=intermediate
C=125hr=moderate

The same goes for larger engines (think 15-20HP)

A=1000hr=extended
B=500hr=intermediate
C=250hr=moderate

There are some variations to this, depending on displacement and output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back