regular vs super

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same quality. In modern vehicles with fuel injected engines, use what your manufacturer recommends.

Last edited:
my Evinrude motor recommends regular, but i keep getting carbon build up.

2 stroke outboard I assume? Very dark or black plugs? Try leaning it out(air/fuel) a bit and put in new plugs and check their colour. I like brown but some guys will go to tan coloured. Also I guess you should check your thermostat, if its stuck open the engine will run to cool and carbon up.
If anything you would get more carbon build up with higher octane gas.
Ian

i should check the thermostats, the plugs are mostly brownish, with some carbon on the sides

No. Shell 93 V-Power has 5 times the required additives, while 89/87 have 2 times the required. Not sure about BP with Invigorate or Texaco with Techron.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
No. Shell 93 V-Power has 5 times the required additives, while 89/87 have 2 times the required. Not sure about BP with Invigorate or Texaco with Techron.

How do you know this?

Originally Posted By: leckbass
Originally Posted By: Jaymus

How do you know this?

because he`s smart!!
grin2.gif

Google is smart. I'd like to take the credit. I posted this on here a while back. It may even say that at the stores.

Is it true that gas stations typically have two tanks, one for premium and one for regular, and that mid-grade is a blend of the two? If this is the case, how can mid-grade Shell have the same amount of detergent additives as their regular?

Most modern stations only use two tanks regular/premium. I checked this morning at my local shell and 89 is a blend of vpower and 87 which would give 89 a slightly higher detergent amount then 87. I'm sticking with 89 as I have noticed a 1-2 mpg boost.

i have also noticed more millage/pep using 89 octane in older cars that only require 87.but as the engines get miles on them,valve train wear etc,it helps.

Originally Posted By: Neil_A
Most modern stations only use two tanks regular/premium. I checked this morning at my local shell and 89 is a blend of vpower and 87 which would give 89 a slightly higher detergent amount then 87. I'm sticking with 89 as I have noticed a 1-2 mpg boost.

Exactly.

What the [censored]. I never knew that. Seems like 89 octane would be the way to go all the time. No matter the car. You get the extra good stuff from the 93, yet the leaner combustion from the 87 being in there.

I'll have to start giving this a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back