Fuel Quality and OCI Length

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in 2004 I had a bulletin board conversation with someone from Germany. He runs 20,000 kilometer OCIs routinely and said he could go 30,000 km. I asked how is that possible. His response was:
Quote:
…you need three things for a long oil drain interval. If one of these three things is missing, you get gunk.

1.) A good fuel
2.) A proper designed engine
3.) ...Yeah, a good oil

Would you try to do long oil drain interval with a Chevy BelAir '56? No? Yep, you are right, you shouldn't do that.

Going with a good oil and a good engine in a bad fuel country,....
-> Gunk.
…..

I don't want to hurt your feelings.... but the US has compared to Germany horrible fuel…

This is supported by those who run propane fueled engines, as I heard their oil stays very clean for a long time.

Thanks for posting... I recently posted this question on another forum to ask this very question...

Good Post!
thumbsup2.gif

Sure... So many factors... UOA is a good way to determine how well the oil is holding up to its environment of temperature, contaminants etc...

I don't know the differences between U.S. and German gasoline but I'd like to.

But gasoline formulation (apart from the additives) does affect maximum OCI. Olefins and aromatics are relatively unstable ingredients in gasoline and since fuel ends up in motor oil, this increases stress on the oil's antioxidant, detergent, and dispersant additives. The sulfur content effect is well known by us so no need for me to expand on that.

Here's some gasoline info:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part2/preamble.html
http://www.hart-isee.com/index.php?page=Gasoline

Poor fuel quality is an issue. Anyone running the new Shell or BP gasoline?

I'm running the new Shell because I think they are running it in a test market near some of my stores (for work). So I fill up at this Shell station when I'm near it.

I've been running BP gas for about seven uneventful years (with FP+), and use BP D2 in my diesel. Doesn't seem to gel in the winter, so either their additive or mine works!
No boasting about mileage though, using BP. I went to Minnesota over the weekend and my mileage jumped when my tank was filled with Cenex. FWIW

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I'm running the new Shell because I think they are running it in a test market near some of my stores (for work). So I fill up at this Shell station when I'm near it.

where in Toronto are they running Shell with Nitrogen?

Kitchener is where I filled up, but another member is saying the banners aren't there so I'm not sure if the test is over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back