Diesel Fuel and it's Stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to an article I have read, diesel fuel is fairly unstable. And the drop-out of carbons is starting to plug fuel filters earlier than OEM filter change intervals. Bio-diesel fuels are even more prone to this. With the high pressure, heating, and then return to the fuel system mixing with cooler fuel...carbons are dropping out. It seems that moisture and water are a factor and microbes are growing in the fuel also plugging fuel filters prematurely. The most highly refined diesel fuel is not escaping from this carbon drop-out. At this point, the only effective way to fight this is to change out the filters earlier than OEM intervals.

one thing i like about diesel engines are the easy access fuel filters (well, mostly). they are not hidden in the gas tank so to speak like many modern gassers.

so it would make it easy to replace at half intervals.

one thing though i don't understand what is dropping out . do you mean gelling?

The article states that carbon particulates are seperating from the base fuel and pluging the filters in a premature manner. The filters when cut apart are showing a fine black silt. Under further testing the particles are carbon, not micro's growing because of water or moisture contamination. Carbon is part of the diesel fuel itself. Wonder if the sulfer held these compounds together?

However, the old cliche (everything old is new again) is happening again with water contamination as well as moisture contamination.

I imagine it like a glass of water with fine silt. After the water sit's a while....the silt drops out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back