How much to remove tires of rims ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

Im getting my rims media blasted ...
So I need to take rubber of rims ...
How much should I pay for service like this ...

Thank you... I Just wonder
wink.gif

Good question.......off the car rims? In other words you are walking them in the door. I would think $5 a tire, just to remove.

It cant take more than a minute to take a standard tire off. I should know I did it years ago. Even aluminum rims......

Last edited:
I will say if they are charging more than $30 they are ripping you off. Call on the phone first.... It is too easy to say in person after you get there .........that will be $45 bucks.

I always love when shops make it sound so complicated and time consuming when trying to justify their overpriced quotes.......

Oh yes that will take a half an hour blah, blah, blah........ I could remove 4 tires in 8 minutes without even breaking a sweat....

You might add a couple bucks for each tire if you are discarding them.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Hi Guys,

Im getting my rims media blasted ...
So I need to take rubber of rims ...
How much should I pay for service like this ...

Thank you... I Just wonder
wink.gif

What is your reason for wanting to 'media blast' the rims?

If you are ONLY removing the old tires for this purpose, then $20-25 seems like a 'reasonable' cost, unless these are a very special type or rim requiring 'extra care' or procedure in removing these tires.

If you plan on putting the SAME TIRES back on, then there will be a cost to remount and rebalance each wheel again. If you plan on putting NEW TIRES on these rims once you have them 'media blasted' & painted, polished, or rechromed; then it might be easier to have the place you are buying the tires from or plan on having the NEW TIRES mounted at DO THE WORK. That way you could have EVERYTHING DONE for the same price that SIMPLY MOUNTING AND BALANCING THE NEW TIRES WOULD COST.... just a 'delay' in time between the DISMOUNTING and MOUNTING of the new tires.

Just some info to 'think about'.

Last edited:
I agree with the others, about $30 to dismount. It'll probably cost you a little more to remount and balance with new valve stems.

Show up in person paying cash. You may not even get a receipt.
wink.gif
Try to find a grimy non-chain store that doesn't advertise.

Tell the guy what you want to do and promise to be back for remounting, who knows, they might "float" you.

Ndx,
If you have a local Wal*Mart that has the service dept.(tires, batteries, oil changes), they can sometimes be your cheapest bet.

For $39.99 plus around 8 bucks shipping harbor freight's manual changer (I use one: fun!) will do all your tires for the rest of your life.

Sale item #: 34542-1REC

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I saw that "thing". I'd be paranoid of chewing up something on the wheel/tire combo with something so un-sophisticated as that...
27.gif

especially wheels worth any amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back