Gas station is hiding their E10 stickers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 04SE
Originally Posted By: sciphi
I am not the only one to notice a 5-10% drop in fuel economy when running gas with 10% ethanol in it.

There's more, but it's not for this board.

Ditto.

Me too. Ethanol is a scam.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
I would think that lubricity wouldn't be as good with ethanol "enhanced" fuels.

Good point. I would be sure to add TCW3 or MMO to the gas to help with the lost lubricity.

About 1/4 the gas stations here sell E10 in all octane levels, some sell it in 90 and 93, but not 87. many do not claim to sell E10 at all. there is even one station that advertizes on the sign out front "No Ethanol sold here, only 100% pure gas." That's exactly what it reads. there are a lot of farms in the more rural areas here too, yet i don't think any of them are farming switchgrass. i care about the increased cost of food more than the slight decrease in gas mileage.

They decreased mpg by 4%-10% in ethanol, yet made cars use 5W-20 to get that extra .1% in MPG.

Who the [censored] makes these decisions. Oh, money hungry [censored].

From what I see on pumps most stations in Ontario have ethonol in only regular 10% , mid grade 5% and super 0% . I have been putting super in my impala and its been costing me around 4 dollars per tank more then with regular...however I have been getting quite a bit more kms per fill up. I did some rough figures and the net result is 0. The added expense covers the extra kms gained plus I hate stopping for gas so....

Originally Posted By: aaxb970
From what I see on pumps most stations in Ontario have ethonol in only regular 10% , mid grade 5% and super 0% . I have been putting super in my impala and its been costing me around 4 dollars per tank more then with regular...however I have been getting quite a bit more kms per fill up. I did some rough figures and the net result is 0. The added expense covers the extra kms gained plus I hate stopping for gas so....

The added benefit is that you're getting a little bit extra (5% or 10%) detergents in your gas compared to E5 or E10 so your engine runs that much cleaner. Also Shell almost always runs extra bonus air miles when you fill with V-Power over E5 or E10.

I think the reason for a greater than 3% loss in fuel economy is not just because of the lower BTU, the engine injects more the fuel (enrichens the AFR) because of the added oxygen content, to maintain a stoich lambda of 1.00 again.

Ethanol was a failure. They should have maybe... I dunno, do what most people do before they make a nationwide project... and PLANNED this out. It costs the same or more, gets worse MPG (whether E10 or E85, you get worse mileage), and it puts out worse emissions. Oh yeah, now my old 1986 F-150 5.0 EFI doesn't like to run on anything but 93, or it likes to buck when it touch the gas now and then.

Where are we benefiting from this?

I've carefully checked mpg in my Intrepid 3.5L many times on highway trips. It very consistently loses 10% mpg when using E10. Other vehicles may be different.

I am planning a large road trip to the US in the next month and am concerned about getting the best mpgs of course. In Canada we don't have to worry so much about getting garbage ethanol tainted fuel as it is very difficult if not impossible to find in some regions.

My question, is there a nation-wide fuel station chain where I can get non-ethanol fuel everytime without worry? I am wanting to get 87 octane name brand fuel only, but will go to ~90 octane if I have to. Cost is not an issue. As a side note, I am not going to California. 09 corolla

Originally Posted By: lewdwig
Phillips is a "toptier" gas and IIRC these all contain some ethanol, at least 8%.

I thought that was incorrect. That only the base fuel had to have certain properties if ethanol was added to it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back