Gas station is hiding their E10 stickers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a local Phillips gas station in my home town that I always try to patronize when I am in the area because they did not have E10 stickers on their pumps (I hate E10). It is always very clean, even the restrooms!, their prices are generally $0.01-$0.02 lower than anybody across town, their coffee is awesome and MOST importantly, their windshield washer buckets have a good fluid in them and they always have new/good scrubbers in them.

So anyhow, the other day, I was fueling up and was happy to see that they still did not have E10 stickers on their pumps. I got to looking around and lo and behold, literally hidden at the very inside/top of the pumps, is the little Ethanol sticker informing you that their fuel might contain ethanol. I wanted to take a picture but did not have my camera and did not want to be considered a terrorist for taking pictures at a gas station.

***Here is a picture from google that I snagged to illustrate my point. THIS IS NOT THE ACTUAL PUMP!!!***

Notice where the arrow is pointing, that is where the sticker is located!

biofuel3j.jpg

Edit: Never mind, I thought that was an actual picture of your pump. Sorry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jdeare
Not trying to be a [censored] or anything, but doesn't the text in blue at the bottom of the pump say "E10"?

That is a picture I snagged from google to illustrate my point. That is NOT the actual pump!

I guess legally they have to display it, whether it has to be in plain sight is another story.

a gas station should not be hiding that information. that might even be illegal.

*edit* at the very least, the guys that come out and test gas stations for pump accuracy and correct grades, etc. would probably frown upon this. I would DEFINITELY call them!

Last edited:
They may be forced to sell E10 from time to time due to supply chain issues. If it is an otherwise nice gas station with nice facilitites I would not worry about it. Yes , I prefer to have good pure gasoline but that isn't always possible.

My station changed from "does contain 10%" to "Might contain 10%". I considered that a good sign.

I can only imagine a "supply chain disruption" accidentally giving me 100% gas. Oh the horrors!
wink.gif

I know this is a bit of a defeatist attitude, but MOST fuel in NA conatins some level of Ethanol. Trying to desparately find a station that sells 100% gas is becoming more and more futile.

I'd bet that the stations that say their fuels 'don't have Ethanol', do. Gas staions get fuel from different distributors all the time, fuel is carried in different trucks, etc...you can't tell me the fuel is 100% Ethanol free.

Because there is a mandate to use Ethanol in fuel, some station owners that buy gas probably don't even realize it has Ethanol in it.

Just run gas from your favourite/cheapest station, and worry about other stuff.

Here, gasoline is ethanol free if it is premium grade, such as Shell V-Power. Otherwise, it is 5% for mid-grade and 10% for regular.

Last edited:
Most gas nowadays have some level of ethanol in it (from everything I have read and been told). It depends on the laws though whether they actually have to display the information or not. CA does, of course.

You guys treat it as if it's the plague. In my part of the country, we've been using E10 since the '80s. In the mid-80's, in Brazil, I used pure 100% ethanol in VW bugs. It works fine.

I have never seen a mileage drop, or a performance difference, or a repair needed by using E10.

I am wondering why everybody is so against ethanol in gasoline. I have been using enthanol enhanced gas for years in my vehicles and never had a fuel related problem ever. Anybody care to explain the dislike of ethanol?

I am not the only one to notice a 5-10% drop in fuel economy when running gas with 10% ethanol in it.

There's more, but it's not for this board.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I am not the only one to notice a 5-10% drop in fuel economy when running gas with 10% ethanol in it.

There's more, but it's not for this board.

Ditto.

In Ohio, it was manditory to have the ethanol sticker on the pump until 2 years ago. Then the politicians decided the would get more votes from the farmers if they eliminated the posting requirement for ethanol. So-- now it is unknown what you are buying. The 10% stuff not only causes a drop in mileage, but I sure won't run well in my lawn mower etc.FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back