Difference between 5w/20 and 5w/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to change the oil in my 09 Hyundai Genesis. The oil fill cap says 5w/20 and in the manual it says I can use 5/20 or 5/30. Im switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic. Car has 700 miles on it. Im getting a dry start chatter when the car has sat for awhile (at the dealer now for it). Dont really understand or know which oil I should use. I live in Delaware. I dont think it has ever gone below 0 here.

either one will do. i sure the chatter is normal for an engine that hasnt been broken in yet.

In your climate, flip a coin. I'd probably try the 5w30 first to see how it affected the "chatter". But, assuming it was assembled in Korea the factory fill was probably 5w30.

I have a 2007 KIA AMANTI 3.8 engine.It`s had this noise on start up since new.The dealer even changed the timing chain tensioners.(as per KIA & HYUNDAI tsb fix.Since resended by HYUNDAI)This is a normal?? noise on start up for all 3.3 & 3.8 6 cylinder engines.I don`t even hear it any more.(it`s still there)I told the dealer ,when it breaks i`ll bring it in so they can fix it.Good luck with your GENESIS......P.S. the dealer had the car for a few days & tried different weights of oil, still the same noise.I use 5w-20 in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brihvac
Im going to change the oil in my 09 Hyundai Genesis. The oil fill cap says 5w/20 and in the manual it says I can use 5/20 or 5/30. Im switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic. Car has 700 miles on it. Im getting a dry start chatter when the car has sat for awhile (at the dealer now for it). Dont really understand or know which oil I should use. I live in Delaware. I dont think it has ever gone below 0 here.

Use 5w-20, especially if you're switching to Mobil 1. It'll provide more than enough protection, and better cooling of internals.

Some people get less noise with heavier oil, but that's mostly because heavier oil deadens sound and vibration. It doesn't mean the engine is running any better.

Nice car, by the way. Hope you enjoy it.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: brihvac

Use 5w-20, especially if you're switching to Mobil 1. It'll provide more than enough protection, and better cooling of internals.

Some people get less noise with heavier oil, but that's mostly because heavier oil deadens sound and vibration. It doesn't mean the engine is running any better.

Nice car, by the way. Hope you enjoy it.
cheers3.gif

Better cooling of internals???

Thinner oils flow better in tight spaces, transfer heat better, and cause less friction (metal-to-oil). I thought that was fairly common knowledge...

Use either oil, but I would use the Mobil 1 5w - 30.

My son had winter chatter in the Spokane cold with his Ford Ranger. He switched to M-1 5w - 20 and no more chatter, or least a lot less. That is because it flows better, faster on the cold morning.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Thinner oils flow better in tight spaces, transfer heat better, and cause less friction (metal-to-oil). I thought that was fairly common knowledge...
I didn't realize that 5w-30 had problems if used at the proper temps get into the tight spaces , so in the old 20w-50 days oil did not get in to the hydraulic lifters? Where did you learn all that?

Tight spaces? Really...
LOL.gif

I wonder how long 5W20 would last in a diesel?

I wonder how long it will take a mod to move Delete this thread?

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I think Mobil 1 is a bit thinner than some other oils. I'd go with 5w30 personally.

I agree. It is thinner then most other 5W/30's.

Originally Posted By: n8wvi
Am I missing something? Why is this thread in a Diesel forum?

Maybe because his engine sounds like a diesel on start-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back