Oil Recommendation - Ford Ranger 3.0 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another newbie looking for advice (after years of living where it was inconvenient to change my own, and using Jiffy Lube, I'm looking to start changing my own again).

I'm getting a UOA done next change and I'll post that when I get it but first I wanted to hear some opinions. My commute is about 6 minutes. The truck barely warms up before stopping again but it is a straight shot and I drive it easy. Anybody have suggestions for my first DIY change in 7 years with this engine and driving conditions?

I suggest a robust 10w-30 in the summer and 5w-30 in the winter. How often are you planning on changing the oil? 3000 miles? 5000 miles? Does cost matter to you?

Mobil1 is an obvious recommendation, but there are many others as well. WalMart's SuperTech synth is a steal at $12/gal.

Schaeffers Supreme 7000 oils do very well IMO with short trip driving and resulting fuel dilution. You don't mention if you have consumption issues, but I would recommend the #701 5W-30 for year round use, if you can get it in your area.

My OCI will be 3k. Engine is currently at 84k.

Do you really think a synthetic will offer better short trip protection? I hear some good things hear and I hear some stories of valve noise and such with M1. I suppose it could be worth a try and then a UOA.

Is it bad to switch from synth to dino repeatedly? Goal is maximum durability and I'm not too cost sensitive since oil is such a small cost of ownership.

MC 5w-20 year round..it probably is still a heavy 30 weight by the time you shut it off. Works well in my daughter's 3.0 Vulcan (1991/134k). No consumption since her last, post Auto-Rx, OCI. I'm very impressed with this oil. This should give you the best fuel economy in your useage.

With 3,000 mile OCIs I would recommend Pennzoil or MotorCraft 5w20 dino. Will provide great protection when combined with a good oil filter like the Purolator Pure One.

Another vote for 5w20 Motorcraft, Pennzoil, or Havoline. You need the "thinner" oil since it never warms up.

Use Chevron Supreme if it's available in your area, the price and performance is hard to beat, and you can extend those intervals out if need be.

I would go with a synthetic blend in 5W-30. It doesn't get that cold in Maryland - or even up in Maine to warrant the need for 5W-20. All the oil brands mentioned above are fine. No need to buy any specific brand changing your oil at only 3K. What may be more important than the oil is your filter choice. Go with Motorcraft or Wix for best value per dollar spent.

Hi

Temps in early Jan mornings can be -20F to -30F here in Northern Maine.

I favor the 0w-30 GC for my 3800 K.

My Ranger was a 4.0 V6. I just sold it after 7 years and 220,000 km of dirt roads and deliveries. Ran Chevron Supreme 5W-30 for the last 5 years (a group I 10W-30 at first) with changes between 6,000 km and 9,000 km.
When I sold it oil consumption was less than 1/4 of the way down from full at oil change.
Can't really complain about the truck, sold it for $2,000 les than I paid for it 7 years and 220,000 km ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back