A good brake grease/lubricant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend me a good caliper grease and/or brake lubricant to apply the back of brake pads and the caliper pins? Can i use the same caliper grease that is used to apply the pins and use it on the back of the brake pads? I was told i would need like a anti-seize or "anti-squeal" for the pads that'll touch the caliper pistons.

the same caliper grease is okay.

anti-squeal is not recommended anymore. My guess is because they started adding shims to the backs of the pads to dampen noise.

I just use a Permatex caliper grease I got at AAP. It's in a white bottle with a green label and a brush in the lid. I use regular wheel bearing grease on the slide pins and the caliper slide surfaces. I have had no problems at all using the red CRC disc brake quiet on my brake pads. I give the caliper dust boots a light coat of bearing grease every now and then too. Others here will disagree on that, but it works for me.

Permatex® Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube

I have always used this stuff. Works very well. I think this is what Jimmy recommended although I was unsure. It is a synthetic lube and can be used on the pins and backingplates alike. Permatex has always produced a very high quality product. Use it with confidence!

Lets cut to the chase here, I'll just post most of them that are available over the counter, more or less:

The Critic: recommends most of the following, but is now using the Permatex Ultra

Kestas: prefers the often mfg. recommended true silicone caliper greases. Ford dealers offer Motorcraft Silicone Brake & Dielectric grease and Dupont Silicone greases are common (often hard to track down over the counter).

Tempest: Bendix Ceramlube

Labman: Sil-glyde, a tried and true product that's been around for ages and available at NAPA and many auto stores.

Mori: likes exotic greases and recently revealed that he also uses the new Ceramic variety of Permatex.

The Unknown Poster (with bag over head): can't remember who, but someone here likes the CRC/Sta Lube synthetic moly grease.

That covers the most popular ones. In a few moments, The Critic will post pictures......... and, elaborate about anti-squeal compounds and maybe other stuff.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Lets cut to the chase here, I'll just post most of them that are available over the counter, more or less:

The Critic: recommends most of the following, but is now using the Permatex Ultra

Kestas: prefers the often mfg. recommended true silicone caliper greases. Ford dealers offer Motorcraft Silicone Brake & Dielectric grease and Dupont Silicone greases are common (often hard to track down over the counter).

Tempest: Bendix Ceramlube

Labman: Sil-glyde, a tried and true product that's been around for ages and available at NAPA and many auto stores.

Mori: likes exotic greases and recently revealed that he also uses the new Ceramic variety of Permatex.

The Unknown Poster (with bag over head): can't remember who, but someone here likes the CRC/Sta Lube synthetic moly grease.

That covers the most popular ones. In a few moments, The Critic will post pictures......... and, elaborate about anti-squeal compounds and maybe other stuff.

LOL.gif
, thanks for cutting to the chase Doitmyself and also to those who gave some input. Well basically i'm also done getting set to do my rotor/pad service this weekend. I've been looking into all of those products you mentioned above and looks like i'll be purchasing the Permatex ceramic extreme brake lubricant and the valvoline (non-chlorinated) brake parts cleaner since i can easily purchase them at my local pepboys or autozone.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I think you've covered everything.
grin2.gif

Ok, thought my local auto stores would have some of the permatex ceramic extreme brake lubricant but they don't. I guess it's still too new to be out on the shelves here. I did got the permatex ultra disc brake caliper lube (silicone formula); red bottle. It has holy moly in it or so it says.

Originally Posted By: Highroller
Ok, thought my local auto stores would have some of the permatex ceramic extreme brake lubricant but they don't. I guess it's still too new to be out on the shelves here. I did got the permatex ultra disc brake caliper lube (silicone formula); red bottle. It has holy moly in it or so it says.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automot...iper_Lube_1.htm

This stuff? That's what I use.

Originally Posted By: Highroller
Ok, thought my local auto stores would have some of the permatex ceramic extreme brake lubricant but they don't. I guess it's still too new to be out on the shelves here.

I used that purple menace some time last. No issues at all.

Personally, I think nothing can beat Molykote M-77 for caliper slidng pins. It has the best of both worlds... silicone grease for resistance to high temperature and water washout, and moly disulfide for EP service.

http://www3.dowcorning.com/DataFiles/090007c88000445b.pdf

You can even use it to butter the caliper piston bore where all the corrosion occurs. The silicone grease would keep the corrosive environment out of the caliper seal area without interfering with the brake fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back