Maxima 530MX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know you-alls read on this oil. It sounds pretty good, and I'm buying in to the thinner is better game, but Maxima finally released the specs for this oil, it seems mighty thin and I'm having second thoughts about running it in my XC race Raptor. What do you say?

From the Maxima website:

Technical Data

Color D 1500 Amber
Gravity °A.P.I. 0.88
Viscosity SUS @ 100°F 260
Viscosity SUS @ 210°F 60
Viscosity cSt @ 40°C 52.9
Viscosity cSt @ 100°C 9.4
Pour Point, °F -51
Flash Point, °F NA
Fire Point, °F NA
Viscosity Index 161
SAE Viscosity 5w30

Write-up:
530MX is a 100% Tri-Ester based synthetic oil. Developed on the world’s toughest race circuits, 530MX produces more horsepower, increased torque and excellent clutch feel – there is no better choice for modern MX/Offroad motorcycles. Advanced additives ensure the ultimate in protection for critical engine, transmission and clutch components. High temperature detergents keep your engine running clean and trouble-free, while the ultra shear-stable polymer system maintains constant viscosity – minimizing viscosity loss and clutch fade.

Hi ccdhowell,
I was also waiting the specs from Maxima, but for their 530RR oil, which must be very close to the MX version I believe (identical viscosity).
Although I am very satisfied with their 15w50 maxum extra,
I wouldn't consider buying such a thin oil, even from a very good manufacturer as Maxima. I always take into consideration that a .5% increase in hp doesn't worth such a risk as a decreased gearbox life which is the main reason why I prefer thicker oils..well not to take also into cons. that even the best oils do shear even a little bit after race sessions in a gearbox.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts. I was beginning to think that noone was interested in this oil. I have ordered some of the 530MX and will give it a try...with post race oil analysis of course. I had not thought of the gearbox issue, I regularly run 10w30 oil in the transimission of my 2stroke race quad with excellent results. I know this stuff will shear, but I usually change oil every 5 to 6 hours and most of the oils I've done analysis on have already sheared to a 30wt so I figure I might as well start with a 30wt and see what happens. I'm keep you posted on my analysis results.

I was always a supporter of the frequent oil changes logic in motorcycles or other lightweight and powerful vehicles.I have a bike I use only for highway trips and I change the oil every 2k miles or about 25 hours of operation..
P and Zn will be sky high..

Last edited:
IMHO, the specs shown and marketing blurb tell absolutely nothing, typical of any oil. If your bike calls for a 5w30 I'm sure it's fine. If your bike calls for a thicker oil, I'd reconsider. Syn or "tri syn" is no substitute for being a grade too thin.

The engine specs a 30wt oil up to about 85 degrees F or so. It does get hotter than that in the summer however. I'm hoping the overbuilt Maxima oil will handle the extra temperature and still protect. I do intend to do UOAs often to monitor the oil and since noone else has done so...I'll be the guinea pig on this one.

Just wanted to post that the 530MX went in my Raptor today. All I can say is, WOW! this oil is noticeably thin; thinner than anything I've ever poured actually. I took it once around the block and confirmed that the engine didn't immediately blow-up
LOL.gif

I have a race next weekend, I'll know more then. I usually put between 6 and 8 hours on my Raptor during a race weekend. By the end of the race my shift quality usually starts to degrade enough for me to notice. Meaning that the gearshifts aren't as buttery smooth as they were at the beginning of the race weekend.

I always change oil after each race weekend. I won't send in a UOA after this race as this is the first run of 530MX. I'll wait until after the next race a month hence.

I wanted to post a follow-up with my impressions of this oil. Well, I put this oil in my Yamaha Raptor 700 and immediately after start-up I noticed a significant increase in noise, vibration and harshness. The engine seemed to vibrate more than with thicker oil, perhaps more than it should have, I know it made me nervous. Undaunted, I left it in the engine through a long race weekend, two practice days plus a 90 minute race. The clutch feel was good, I like thin oils for clutch feel. Shift quality is fine, nothing great, but the quality didn't decrease throughout the weekend suggesting to me the high quality of the oil; shift quality generally degrades fairly quickly with lesser oils.

Bottom line and end of story, for me at least, is that it won't stay in the engine for a second run and UOA. The increased NVH unnerved me enough to warrant the change after only one run. I boughnt two quarts of Mobil Racing 4T 10w40 tonight at Auto Zone for my next run.

The End.

I should give an update on this oil. I had several unused liters left from my test and decided to try it in my daughters '07 Xtreme Typhoon 90 race quad. It has a chinese copy of an old Honda engine in it. Much to my surprize, it loved the 530MX. Seemed to give it just a bit more pep, doesn't have the NVH issues at all like I saw on my Raptor, the engine seems to love it. I haven't had it in long enough to do a UOA, but I'll get around to it before too long. Now I can use the rest of my stash of this oil in a worthwhile way.

FINALLY!!!!

Someone else who can tell at the shifter when it is time to change oil.

My KFX450R kills most oils very quickly from the feel of the shifter... and after an oil change it's superb again.

I went through a lot of oil, moving up in price and viscosity...

I now run 15w50 Mobil 1 and I'm happy with that.
I buy it in the 5 qt jugs when it is on sale for $21...
And that give me 4 oil changes even....

In the end, my maintenance is a lot less expensive.
The oil costs me a little more but lasts a lot longer.
Longer than I am comfortable with actually.

Now I drain when it starts looking dirty instead of having my shifter hinting my oil is spent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back