How oftento use a fuel cleaner??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering , How often to use a fuel system cleaner? At what mileage interval, I.E... every 3K miles or so?

An easy way to to treat your fuel system with one of the many fuel system cleaners is to look at your expected OCI (3k,5,7.5 etc) when you are approaching your next oci on a full tank, add the fuel system cleaner of your liking and run the tank down to Empty. Then change your oil and life is good. The reason I do this is because many of the fuel system cleaners get into the crankcase and can degrade oil. If you change it after treatment you flush most of it out.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
An easy way to to treat your fuel system with one of the many fuel system cleaners is to look at your expected OCI (3k,5,7.5 etc) when you are approaching your next oci on a full tank, add the fuel system cleaner of your liking and run the tank down to Empty. Then change your oil and life is good. The reason I do this is because many of the fuel system cleaners get into the crankcase and can degrade oil. If you change it after treatment you flush most of it out.

I do the same thing, it takes all the worry out of the equation.

I use either Techron Fuel System cleaner or Redline Fuel System cleaner in a tank of gas about once every 10K miles or so to clean out my 89's Vette's fuel injection system and the stop-n-go driving deposits in the combustion chamger. Both products are very effective detergent cleaners as opposed to the solvent-type cleaners like BG 44K (which is a good product, but see below).

Solvent-type cleaners are best for removing burnt oil deposits from leaky rings or engine valve seals. If I used any solvent type cleaner, it would be right before I changed my oil is any unburnt product would end up there in the oil pan.

I usually add additives in before a long trip or before an OCI. Exception to this rule is Techron or SI-1, I use 2-3 ounces of SI-1 as a prophylaxis with Costco or Rotten Robbie.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Haven't used any, nor do I plan to since I started using a Top Tier fuel.

The only true test would be take two identical engines, run them both for 100K miles. One gets top tier fuel and the other the same fuel along with a maintence dose every fill up. Tare down both engines and see which one looks better.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Haven't used any, nor do I plan to since I started using a Top Tier fuel.

The only true test would be take two identical engines, run them both for 100K miles. One gets top tier fuel and the other the same fuel along with a maintence dose every fill up. Tare down both engines and see which one looks better.

I think BP did something like this to demonstrate generic unleaded vs their Invigorate fuel. The ran a V8 engine with one bank of cylinders on their fuel, the other on the generic unleaded (sans the "maintenance dose) and tore it down after many miles.

I just use Marvel Mystery Oil every fill up and never worry about any other cleaners or additives. No problems yet. A friend does the same and has over 250,000 miles on an old chevy astro van with no repairs, no problems.

Yep - met too! Mutliple Cars I use it in run smoother and quieter all the time instead of just when you are using the "occasional" fuel additive.

Hmmm.....I have been putting it in AFTER I change the oil...looks like I need to change my procedure..
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back